When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940 Huffman National big tank

-
Outstanding!
So looking at my box score from home, I got you down for 2 boys '40 lit tanks (unrestored Firestone + lit rack and a fully restored Dayton) this '41 National non-lit tank, and a complete '40 ladies file nose big tank amateur restoration (but all there).
Chris

Hey Chris,
Somewhere around those numbers. But the girl’s bike is bare metal and being repainted now. And the bikes chrome is back from plating. I believe this bike is also a ’40 not a ’41. It has the welded on kickstand and no emboss on the tank. So I believe it is a ’40. But I am looking for a ’41 in the future.
Thanks for the compliments. No miracles, just chemicals.
John

ok please..

tell us how? I have a bike I do not want to ruin and I figure you only get one shot...
Thanks!

Wow!
John, you and Nick are proving to be the miracle workers. Niether of your bikes looked like there was much color left but you guys literally brought them back from the dead.
Outstanding preservation kudos to both of you guys.

I 2nd that for both of you guys. And the miracle is in the effort to bring the bikes back :cool:
Most poeple would never even try...

The answer is here on the Cabe. I just read the post about rust removal with wood bleach (oxalic acid). Went to the hardware store spent $10.00, filled a large plastic bucket with water and the crystals, threw the parts in in there, woke up the next day and had a new bike. It did not even disturb the decals.
John

I've been considering doing that with my '37 Dayton motorbike but I kinda like it all crusty! V/r Shawn

37 D4-1.JPG

37 D4-4.JPG

37 D4-3.jpg

37 D4-2.JPG

Wow...bet u had huge smiles when it came out like that...I bet bunch of cabe guys are running to the hardware stores now..including me..lol

Great job John!!!!!!!!! I believe I remember somebody saying that bike needed to be bead blasted and primed before being sold, wonder what they think now?????? It is truly amazing how much paint can be brought back to life.

I've been considering doing that with my '37 Dayton motorbike but I kinda like it all crusty! V/r Shawn

I have another mixture for rust that I am going to try out. Hydrogen peroxide, table salt, and white vinegar.
I am trying to bring back the paint as much as possible and then in select areas paint brush back the rust. At least that’s the plan so far.
John

Great job John!!!!!!!!! I believe I remember somebody saying that bike needed to be bead blasted and primed before being sold, wonder what they think now?????? It is truly amazing how much paint can be brought back to life.

It would have been the wrong decision for sure.

Back