When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940 Huffman Rims and Tire ?'s

-

Beads

Finally riding a big boys bike
I picked this 1940 Huffman up a couple of years ago, cleaned it up and ride it often. Now I noticed the front tire has a big split, amazing the tube still holds air.
I think this bike is very correct but I have always questioned the rims. The rims patina matches the rest of the bike and has the correct early ND brake arm. All the other pictures I have seen have drop centres, did they ever use these rims from the factory?
Next question Johns US Royal Chain black walls, white walls or NOS Lightning white walls ? Or maybe locate a nice set of snake bellies?

Thanks in advance.

Nice bike! Chainring has been discussed elsewhere on the site. I believe it is cataloged
I don't recommend riding pre war cotton cord tires at all but lots of people do.
Johns or lighting darts would be easier pedaling too. Matter of personal choice I guess.
I might have a single g-3 but shipping to Canada is crazy $

Very cool! I guess it's a good thing I only said it "looks" Monark. It's amazing how much there still is to learn.
Many thought this was an incorrect chainring & had been swapped out to convert to 1/2" pitch until others popped up & the ad was posted. How weird! I think it is the exact same chainring as used on Monarks. Check out the holes sometimes used to attach the Piecrust guard...

Last edited:
I don't know about the rims, but the chainring looks Monark/Silver King...
I have done lots of homework on this bike and the only thing I can't confirm are the rims. But I am no expert so please chime up if I am wrong. I will replace the rims once I am 100% sure they are incorrect. I am 90% at this time. What is really holding me back is the rims and bar chrome have the exact patina.
Thanks

Very cool! I guess it's a good thing I only said it "looks" Monark. It's amazing how much there still is to learn.

As Bike said discused before but not only does it look Monark, in fact, it is the exact same ring. You'll notice that the ones on the big tank Huffmans are even drilled for the "pie pan" guard used on early Monarks. Re: the wheels these should be drop centers. I'd go with John's chain whitewalls. The US Chain tires were specified for the suspension (TwinFlex) bikes in the '40 catalog. V/r Shawn ------------- Mike must be a faster on the keyboard than I am!

Are the nipples 2 flats or 4? I've seen other 1941 bikes like Schwinn with flat lobdells some with purple ink stamps I know the bike is a 40 but maybe it's a late one ...

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Back