When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940 Huffman Rims and Tire ?'s

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I picked this 1940 Huffman up a couple of years ago, cleaned it up and ride it often. Now I noticed the front tire has a big split, amazing the tube still holds air.
I think this bike is very correct but I have always questioned the rims. The rims patina matches the rest of the bike and has the correct early ND brake arm. All the other pictures I have seen have drop centres, did they ever use these rims from the factory?
Next question Johns US Royal Chain black walls, white walls or NOS Lightning white walls ? Or maybe locate a nice set of snake bellies?

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 1105468

View attachment 1105469

View attachment 1105470
Hello fellow Canuck. ( It was interesting that the chain ring is correct!!! LOTS to learn, it's fun)

If you like to ride your bike/seems you do, I'd go with John's chain tread repops. ( cream w/w or all black) I have about a dozen bikes with them ( riders and display) and they are superb. You can run higher pressure with John's so it rolls and pedals easier, LESS worry about a blowout. Pushing a bike home isn't fun, been there, done that.

That said, I have riders and display with original rubber too, but hesitate to go fast or far on the riders.

As far as shipping/buying from the U.S., it is pricey ( you probably know that), but it's pricey shipping there too. I'm getting a set of original tires sent from Texas, boxed, USPS Priority for around $58.00. It costs me more to ship a set of tires boxed from here to CONUS, closer to $70.00 but our dollar is only worth .60!!. All part of the cost of the hobby. I deal with it ALL the time. Beauty of a bike. Cheers, Bob

I have done lots of homework on this bike and the only thing I can't confirm are the rims. But I am no expert so please chime up if I am wrong. I will replace the rims once I am 100% sure they are incorrect. I am 90% at this time. What is really holding me back is the rims and bar chrome have the exact patina.
Thanks
Beautiful bikes Sir .

Hello fellow Canuck. ( It was interesting that the chain ring is correct!!! LOTS to learn, it's fun)

If you like to ride your bike/seems you do, I'd go with John's chain tread repops. ( cream w/w or all black) I have about a dozen bikes with them ( riders and display) and they are superb. You can run higher pressure with John's so it rolls and pedals easier, LESS worry about a blowout. Pushing a bike home isn't fun, been there, done that.

That said, I have riders and display with original rubber too, but hesitate to go fast or far on the riders.

As far as shipping/buying from the U.S., it is pricey ( you probably know that), but it's pricey shipping there too. I'm getting a set of original tires sent from Texas, boxed, USPS Priority for around $58.00. It costs me more to ship a set of tires boxed from here to CONUS, closer to $70.00 but our dollar is only worth .60!!. All part of the cost of the hobby. I deal with it ALL the time. Beauty of a bike. Cheers, Bob

I am lucky I am only 45-60 minutes to the border and I have a mailbox in Blaine, Wa. Otherwise big bucks $$$ plus most have no desire or won't ship to Canada.

I am lucky I am only 45-60 minutes to the border and I have a mailbox in Blaine, Wa. Otherwise big bucks $$$ plus most have no desire or won't ship to Canada.
Right on. Yes, I am also only about an hour from the border ( Minnesota/North Dakota), but after many years of being "on the road" my desire to take road trips is minimal at best. ( costly too/gas/wear and tear on vehicle/inclimate weather) Some people in Winnipeg have postal boxes in small ( Grand Forks, Fargo, etc. even right at the border/brokers there too!! where we pay tax and duty on imports) border towns.

I've been in the hobby ( and collecting/restoring related cool stuff) over 35 years, made lots of contacts and friends in many countries ( mostly the U.S.) and only rarely come across a non Canuck that won't take the 2 minutes to fill out the Customs form required to ship outside their country.

Most think it's complicated, but it is not. I do it all the time as I've sold Internationally on Ebay ( coming up to 20 years) and Cabe and elsewhere. Piece of cake. Now on Ebay, they have a Global shipping program ( often times merch. travels across the U.S. and Canada 1000's of miles only to end up close to where it started/BUT on a different side of the border/lucrative business!!) to take the mystery and apprehension out of shipping across an imaginary line.

Our countries are one of the largest trading partners in the world. To let ( I ship cool stuff non Canucks can't find in their country) a small postal form ( at USPS outlets or on line) make a BIG deal out of a sale, or alienate people with the same interests ( vintage cars is probably a better example) is laughable at best. The odd time I find an International purchase or sale that hits a roadblock based on fear or lack of information ( or an extra 2 minutes to fill out a form), I have an American buddy forward it to me at added expense. This is not required often. Postage rates outside countries is crazy anywhere, as it requires "authority figures" ( brokers. border people, more postal hands) to handle that set of tires or hood ornament.

My Dad and Brother live in Vancouver, Canada. I've been in your area and Washington state many times. Cheers, Bob

I picked this 1940 Huffman up a couple of years ago, cleaned it up and ride it often. Now I noticed the front tire has a big split, amazing the tube still holds air.
I think this bike is very correct but I have always questioned the rims. The rims patina matches the rest of the bike and has the correct early ND brake arm. All the other pictures I have seen have drop centres, did they ever use these rims from the factory?
Next question Johns US Royal Chain black walls, white walls or NOS Lightning white walls ? Or maybe locate a nice set of snake bellies?

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 1105468

View attachment 1105469

View attachment 1105470
I have a 40 with the same forks & truss rods, and 40 Lobdel rims like Schwinn used in 40. The bike came to me from a collector that was convinced Huffman used the rims on some 40 Big Tank bikes. I've been questioning it too, as my 40 Firestone Big Tank has drop center Lobdels. I'll see if I can contact the collector and pick his brain again.

I have a 40 with the same forks & truss rods, and 40 Lobdel rims like Schwinn used in 40. The bike came to me from a collector that was convinced Huffman used the rims on some 40 Big Tank bikes. I've been questioning it too, as my 40 Firestone Big Tank has drop center Lobdels. I'll see if I can contact the collector and pick his brain again.
My experience is that Schwinn used the flat Lobdells in '41 not '40. That and all the original '40 Big Tank bikes I've seen always have drop centers. Never say never but I'd go with drop centers . V/r Shawn

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 1105468

View attachment 1105469

View attachment 1105470
Happy holidays! First congrats for that nice bicycle I have a lady version!I was reading about the rims and the Monark chain ring but I notice the bike has the stem handlebar grips like the add at the photos whit the tires and different at the photo whit the add! Which one do you prefer more? Thanks

20191130_175751.jpg

Back