When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940 men's elgin bike with long tank and headlight

-
Price
1300 OBO
Zipcode
Greetings Josh and welcome to the CABE. In addition to selling, this is a fantastic resource for learning about antique and classic bicycles and sharing information. I learn something new almost every day. In the spirit of learning and sharing, I wanted to suggest that your bicycle isn't a long tank Elgin. I say "suggest" because as @mrg pointed out, "odd things turn up all the time." That said, you'll notice upon close inspection, that your bike shares very few identical features to the 40-41 Collegiate Sears. The forks are similar, the bars are similar and the stem may be similar (tough to tell from your pics). But even the headlight you mention is different; The Elgin has a Delta torpedo while your bike has a Delta Winner. The reason the Elgin is referred to as a "long tank" is that the tank extends back beyond the seat tube. You'll note that's not the case with your bike. There are a number of other differences as well (honestly too many to list). It's okay that these things don't jump out at you. You don't just show up and know things. Internet research gets you just so far, but a place like this can help you understand what your bike is and why. If you'd be interested in getting your bike properly identified, post a pic of the serial number on the underside of the bottom bracket... that's a great place to start.

@mrg and @igrinnings are spot on. The '40 Roadmaster you show is my bike and is a top of the line model for that year which is different than the bent tanks. A pic of the serial number would identify the year. This bike isn't an Elgin which by the way was only a brand for Sears who did not manufacture any bicycles. V/r Shawn

STAYS WITH H.
Could it be 1940 Huffman champion?

20220624_031200.jpg

20220624_031042.jpg

20220624_031125.jpg

20220624_031043.jpg

Back