When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940 Monark 5 bar

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Shipping
$100-150?
Zipcode
Hello mrg, just a few questions.....Headset or BB cups need shim? What's up with the front fender front stays? The front fender is sitting high and I wonder if those slots will allow it to be repositioned? That is all.......the California Courier, @Fonseca927, is making a trip down your way next week.....maybe a Ca. relocation will happen.....

Fenders Were off a different bike and never messed or adjusted them, fender braces are for springe but from deeper fenders, a few models of prewar Monarks took shims between the frame and fork bearing cups because of the bigger frame head diameter and the seem to wear out or get lost, a few threads discussing that and about making them.

Last edited:
One thing I can add on the shims that I've found through experience is if they are "missing", take a strong light and look down inside the steering tube often they have just slipped down inside. No need to get hung up on the shims if they are lost either. By my calculations you can use .033" shim stock, @FSH had a good suggestion of using a layered material to achieve the desired thickness.

Thanks for offering this nice project Mark!

One thing I can add on the shims that I've found through experience is if they are "missing", take a strong light and look down inside the steering tube often they have just slipped down inside. No need to get hung up on the shims if they are lost either. By my calculations you can use .033" shim stock, @FSH had a good suggestion of using a layered material to achieve the desired thickness.

Thanks for offering this nice project Mark!
I've used a tin can and worked fine. If you've ever seen the factory shims these were not some precision made part.

Back