When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940 New World with a Bayliss-Wiley rear hub.

-
The "hooked edge" refers to the fact it takes a clincher tire rather than a single tube or glue-on, the "American Hooked Edge" refers to the 599mm 26 x 1.375 that were common in the 1930s-50s. It's interesting that the tire claims it will fit both the 597mm 26 x 1 1/4 (a British size before Schwinn later adopt it as its own) and the American 1.375 (599mm).

Cyclo twin wire would be the most appropriate set-up. Huret svelto, while from the sixties, is another good option, for riding. Its small, looks old, but works better than the earlier stuff.

-----

B-W hub -

these double sided hubs are often referred to with the shorthand expression "D/S"

this type where they are freewheel on one side and fixed on the other are sometimes referred to as "training hubs"

there are also double sided hubs which are fixed on both sides

member @dnc1 may be able to contribute additional B-W information 😉

---

gears -

is the shift lever we see on the top tube a Freres Huret item as well or is it something else? if something else it would provide a clue as to what was there originally.

---

propstand appears to be Shuresta; is that correct?

-----

Last edited:
-----

B-W hub -

these double sided hubs are often referred to with the shorthand expression "D/S"

this type where they are freewheel on one side and fixed on the other are sometimes referred to as "training hubs"

there are also double sided hubs which are fixed on both sides

member @dnc1 may be able to contribute additional B-W information 😉

---

gears -

is the shift lever we see on the top tube a Freres Huret item as well or is it something else? if something else it would provide a clue as to what was there originally.

---

propstand appears to be Shuresta; is that correct?

-----
It's a Huret lever. And the kickstand is indeed a Shuresta. Sorry about the picture, I'm still learning to use the camera on my new phone. But if the Geico caveman can do it I can too - eventually.

SNWD - 14.jpg

Cyclo twin wire would be the most appropriate set-up. Huret svelto, while from the sixties, is another good option, for riding. Its small, looks old, but works better than the earlier stuff.
I think I've seen one of those in one of these threads, now if I can just remember which one.

It's a Huret lever. And the kickstand is indeed a Shuresta. Sorry about the picture, I'm still learning to use the camera on my new phone. But if the Geico caveman can do it I can too - eventually.

-----

thank you for the response

new phone: soon you shall be able to make some images of geckos

-----

What a lovely little bicycle with a nice history that I hope you can find out more of.
I do like bicycles that may have had upgrades by various owners as new technologies became available.
As to Bayliss-Wiley, they were established in 1919 before being bought out by 'Perry and Co.' in 1926.
It remained part of the part of the parent company, 'Perry and Co. (Holdings) Ltd and was, I believe, still part of that company when it merged with 'Renold Chains' in 1959.
Interestingly, they had an overseas selling and distribution operation in New York from 1948 up until the mid 1960's, marketing all of the groups products.
So perhaps they were producing 36 hole hubs for the US market during this time period as the export economy was so important to British industries.
They also had similar selling and distribution of
operations in Belgium and Canada (both closed in '64) so I think it's not unreasonable to assume they produced lots of their hubs with 36 holes, as Belgium would also have used this configuration, so perhaps you could consider 1948 onwards as a date for that hub?

The fixed and 3-speed hub was very popular in France during the 1930's/40's and continued into the 1950's.
They were also popular in the UK, but as has been stated above, usually in the 40 hole configuration.

As to a more suitable derailleur, the early ("double cable") Cyclo models may be more appropriate, the 'Standard' or 'Oppy' models from 1948.....
Screenshot_20221024-185446_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20221024-190109_Chrome.jpg

as would their early single cable models such as the 'Super Olympic' (above) or, if one moved forward a couple of years to a date of 1950, you could consider a first generation 'Benelux' model.....
Screenshot_20221024-185608_Chrome.jpg

...and of course if you stayed with a French option, there are so many that may be suitable.

Personally, I would stick with what you already have, as this is how someone decided to enjoy it a long time ago, but that decision is yours.
Enjoy it.

(Images from the excellent 'Disraeli Gears' website)

Last edited:
What a lovely little bicycle with a nice history that I hope you can find out more of.
I do like bicycles that may have had upgrades by various owners as new technologies became available.
As to Bayliss-Wiley, they were established in 1919 before being bought out by 'Perry and Co.' in 1926.
It remained part of the part of the parent company, 'Perry and Co. (Holdings) Ltd and was, I believe, still part of that company when it merged with 'Renold Chains' in 1959.
Interestingly, they had an overseas selling and distribution operation in New York from 1948 up until the mid 1960's, marketing all of the groups products.
So perhaps they were producing 36 hole hubs for the US market during this time period as the export economy was so important to British industries.
They also had similar selling and distribution of
operations in Belgium and Canada (both closed in '64) so I think it's not unreasonable to assume they produced lots of their hubs with 36 holes, as Belgium would also have used this configuration, so perhaps you could consider 1948 onwards as a date for that hub?

The fixed and 3-speed hub was very popular in France during the 1930's/40's and continued into the 1950's.
They were also popular in the UK, but as has been stated above, usually in the 40 hole configuration.

As to a more suitable derailleur, the early ("double cable") Cyclo models may be more appropriate, the 'Standard' or 'Oppy' models from 1948.....
View attachment 1718923

View attachment 1718930

as would their early single cable models such as the 'Super Olympic' (above) or, if one moved forward a couple of years to a date of 1950, you could consider a first generation 'Benelux' model.....
View attachment 1718931

...and of course if you stayed with a French option, there are so many that may be suitable.

Personally, I would stick with what you already have, as this is how someone decided to enjoy it a long time ago, but that decision is yours.
Enjoy it.

(Images from the excellent 'Disraeli Gears' website)

Thank you for the excellent references! Plenty of food for thought!

Back