When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940 New World with a Bayliss-Wiley rear hub.

-
The woman I bought this bike from is named Jan, and today she sent me some pictures. The first 7 pictures are of a ride Jan's mom went on with a group of friends from El Cajon to Coronado (in the San Diego area), the first two taken in El Cajon, then two on the ferry to Coronado, then three shots on the beach where they camped out. Jan says she thinks this was near the end of WWII or shortly after, so '45, '46 or '47. The last picture in this group is the best shot of the bike and it already had a derailleur at this point. Anybody recognize any of the other riders?

01 1945-1947 El Cajon CA_001.jpg

01 1945-1947 El Cajon CA_002.jpg

02 1945-1947 Coronado Ferry_001.jpg

02 1945-1947 Coronado Ferry_002.jpg

03 1945-1947 Coronado Silver Strand_001.jpg

04 1945-1947 Coronado Beach_001.jpg

04 1945-1947 Coronado Beach_002.jpg

Last edited:
These last three pictures are more of a mixed bag, the first is a shot of one of her mom's boyfriends on the bike, and Jan says she wonders if this was the guy her mom bought the bike from, but she doesn't know for sure. Notice that the bike looks like it has a Sturmey-Archer quadrant shifter on the top tube, so this may be an earlier picture. The second is a tandem that must have belonged to some of her friends, Jan says it wasn't her mom's, but it 's a good picture. The last shows Jan, her mother and her brother on a trip to the Anza Borrego Desert in 1971. Her mother's brother (Jan's uncle) was the one who worked on bikes, and Jan's brother had gotten a new Schwinn a couple of years earlier, while Jan's bike was one her uncle had put together out of parts, so she was feeling a little jealous.

05 Mom's bike and Bob.jpg

05 two seater.jpg

1971 Anza Borrego Desert CA.jpg

Last edited:
There may be two black New Worlds with white fenders in the group. One of the pictures shows the two women on the right with what appear to be matching New Worlds with light fenders. One of the New Worlds looks to have a Sturmey Archer with quadrant set up and the other is the derailleur bike you have found. The picture with the sailor on the New World actually looks to me to be the other Schwinn New World with the Sturmey set up (it has a quadrant on the top tube). But then in another photo your bike has the derailleur on it and a different shifter(?). It also looks like an Iver Johnson was in the group, and a ballooner (DX?) with no fenders.

That's some cool history on that piece. Since it's a one owner and has that history, my thoughts would be to leave it as is and just clean it up. But if you decide to make it closer to what it was in the pictures with the older derailleur, I'll gladly buy that Huret Allvit if you have no use for it. Looking at those pictures blown up, I think @PatrickZ might be on to the unit that was used during that beach trip.
I'll be sending you a PM with some other info since you're researching the rims.

The Coronado bike camping adventure looks worthy of keeping pictures of to this day.

Other D 4-digit serial on the New Worlds list have 3 piece cranks, AS&Co Chainrings and Sturmy 3 speed hubs. The Bayliss Wiley setup looks very unique. I'm going to add it to the list.

-----

thanks so much for sharing these photos Oilit!

quite rare an enthusiast receives this kind of provenance with a newly acquired piece.

---

was Cyclo the Schwinn supplier of gear mechs at this epoch or would you theorize it is something "someone just put on there"?

-----

-----

thanks so much for sharing these photos Oilit!

quite rare an enthusiast receives this kind of provenance with a newly acquired piece.

---

was Cyclo the Schwinn supplier of gear mechs at this epoch or would you theorize it is something "someone just put on there"?

-----
The earliest option I've seen for a derailleur Schwinn was in the 1950 catalog, so I'm guessing this was something somebody put on. The pre-war three speeds are usually equipped with Sturmey-Archer hubs, and that's probably what's on the bike that Bob (the former boyfriend) was riding. If that's the same bike, then the rear hub must have been changed later. On the other hand, @SirMike1983 is correct, the two bikes on the right in the first picture are both lightweights with white fenders, and it looks like one of them may have a quadrant shifter on the top tube like Bob's bike. I was looking to see if one of them has a phone dial front hub, but it's not quite clear enough to tell. When I was a kid my mom had a Brownie Box camera, these pictures remind me of the ones she used to get.

Last edited:
Great photos and a little more history, a wonderful thing to have with any bicycle.
The derailleur looks like a little 'Cyclo' like to me in the photo, but not quite like a twin-cable model to me.
I can only see a single cable running down to the derailleur.
One other possibility might be a later style 'Tri-Velox' system which used a Quadrant style changer with a single cable; I don't know if they ever made a stay mounted version of it, so this is just supposition really though.
The Sailors bike is definitely a hub-geared bicycle as the bottom run of the chainline suggests.

Back