When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940 New World with a Bayliss-Wiley rear hub.

-
In the 2nd group picture the first White fendered piece has a shifter mounted near the head tube in the standard location. The 1st picture on the ferry the NW pictured has the shifter center on the top tube. The beach shot has the derailleur bike with the shifter center of the top tube. So the sailor is riding the other NW, not Jan's mother's NW.

I’m with @GTs58, sailor Bob is riding the other New World, not @Oilit’s bike.
Its also possible both of the white mudguard New Worlds could be Bob’s bikes. Then he could be riding one and selling the other.
Taking some artistic license on the leftmost arrow in this pic:
FDBE6030-33A2-407D-BCCC-6C09F1BB2C9E.jpeg

DA8C5CF7-BC63-4F48-9013-22DADFA55941.jpeg

2F33DED7-5BD6-4ECC-B633-C4C8A2930A25.jpeg

641639AA-586F-4C6E-9972-5BB70A200BAC.jpeg

@Miq, in your close-up that 2nd bike sure looks like the one Bob was riding and the head badges both look like New Worlds. And while I'm guessing this hub was an add-on, Schwinn advertised Paramount equipment as being optional so it's not 100% certain that it wasn't a special order from the factory. One thing's for sure, if this hub has been on this bike since the late '40's I'm not going to change it now.
This Cyclo derailleur was listed on EBay and @dnc1 may be right: it's close but maybe not an exact match? And this one clamps around the chain stay while some of them mount to a brazed-on bracket. Lots of variations to consider!

ECD - 1.jpg

ECD - 2.jpg

ECD - 3.jpg

ECD - 5.jpg

ECD - 7.jpg

ECD - 9.jpg

ECD - 10.jpg

ECD - 11.jpg

Last edited:
Trying to dig up the exact model from the photos and from that era is going to be tough. It's doable, but not an easy task. These units did not work as well as the post-war derailleurs made starting in the 1950s and 60s. I suspect that's part of why the original was replaced by a post-war derailleur on this bike. It's common to see older bikes with newer derailleurs on them. The derailleur came into its own in the 1950s and 60s. If you can get reasonably close in terms of time period and fit, even if it's a little different model, I'd give it a try.

Trying to dig up the exact model from the photos and from that era is going to be tough. It's doable, but not an easy task. These units did not work as well as the post-war derailleurs made starting in the 1950s and 60s. I suspect that's part of why the original was replaced by a post-war derailleur on this bike. It's common to see older bikes with newer derailleurs on them. The derailleur came into its own in the 1950s and 60s. If you can get reasonably close in terms of time period and fit, even if it's a little different model, I'd give it a try.
I'm just kicking around ideas. Jan's uncle evidently knew what he was doing, the shifter works nice, the tires look good and the wheels run true. The only thing this bike really needs is some new brake pads, the old ones are hard as wooden blocks!

I was hoping you would report how it rides/shifts. Sounds like you've given it a test run.

I like the idea of keeping the stuff that works well. Even if its aftermarket add on stuff from the 50's, it is still very old and cool, and tells a story about upgrade capabilities during that time. But only if it actually works. Glad the uncle cared about that too.

In the last photo on the beach, it appears to have a chain stay-mounted dual cable Cyclo derailleur. You may be able to find evidence of the clamp on the chain stay - I couldn't tell from the original photo.
@PatrickZ, I took some close-ups of the chain stay and there's some marks that may have been left by the derailleur, but it's hard to say for sure. On the other hand, the top tube has a very distinct mark where the shifter may have been clamped. And I apologize for the first picture being a little out of focus, getting my phone to focus where I want it is a skill I'm still trying to master.

SNWD - 39.jpg

SNWD - 38.jpg

SNWD - 58.jpg

@PatrickZ, I took some close-ups of the chain stay and there's some marks that may have been left by the derailleur, but it's hard to say for sure. On the other hand, the top tube has a very distinct mark where the shifter may have been clamped. And I apologize for the first picture being a little out of focus, getting my phone to focus where I want it is a skill I'm still trying to master.

-----

😉

...won't be long now before those geckos shall begin to start coming into view...

-----

Back