When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940 SCHWINN C Model Maroon & Ivory "Rustoration"

-

OC_Rolling_Art

Wore out three sets of tires already!
This bike has been a personal dream in the making since acquiring the NOS tank and front fender, and house-painted frame from Gertrude Vorgang at the Pedal Pusher in Newport Beach in the summer of 1980. I was 15 years old at the time and she was kind enough to place these parts on layaway to accommodate my modest salary of about $75 a week. She told me then that this was a rare model, she had only owned two, the one she was selling me and a rider that was stolen from her shop in the late 70’s, of course there are quite a few we see in existence. I paid $80.00 for the frame and $80.00 for the tank, which was twice as much as an NOS prewar straight-bar tank I purchased earlier from Recycled Cycles down the road. The fender was $25.00. The tank and front fender have never have never been mounted (no marks from screws or fender rivets).

After 40 years I am excited to get this one going, and thought it worthy of starting a thread here. I will be mocking it up to check fit and function in the next couple of weeks, and take her for a ride. I need to match some paint and get a little plating done, and then it will be dis-assembled and painted. I will be aging the new plating and paint to try and match the tank and fender. Many of you cabers have helped my supply line for this one.

More pics to come…

Accessories

Horn light

3b.jpeg

Last edited:
What a great project, Ill bet it turns out excellent. Ill be following along.

Just curious about the rear sprocket -- why is there the U shaped cut out between the teeth?

That is a good question... I’m going to check other ND set-ups I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahhhh Thanks! Somewhere back in my teflon coated sieve like brain I thought I knew the answer but could not think of it.
Ingenious!
It’s to facilitate easier spoke changing. Gotta have some way for the spokes to pass perpendicular through the hub eyelets to build a wheel or replace a broken spoke.
Beautiful bike!

Back