When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940 Schwinn DX

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

ffjmoore

Look Ma, No Hands!
Well, Picked up this DX, at least thats what i think it is.
00303_gDyC74tYstK_600x450.jpg
00o0o_dDQPIDsE3A9_600x450.jpg
00303_53gRUH3N4ux_600x450.jpg

Just looking it over at home the springer was tweaked at the stem. It looks like it needs a spacer in there to line it back up. I undid the top nut and measured it for referance. The stem looks to be 6 1/2" and the neck is 5 1/2.
the neck.jpg

Ill try and get some better pictures up in the next few days.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

It says century. Again I doubt its original. Looks like thisone
$_3.JPG

Guess ill look for the correct fork and sell this one. :(

I think I'll just turn a spacer on my lathe and run it as is.

What is the head tube length difference from men's to women's so I know how thick to make the spacer.

Last edited:
20140130_165631[1].jpg

Pulled the tank off. Looks like the paint would have been better left alone. At least i know it was originally black and white.

Well its been a while. This one got put on the back burner when my wife got pregnant and I did a bunch of house projects. But a month ago i found a fork for this bike and it inspired me to get it done. I bought this bike because its prewar but nowhere near original. I wanted to make a custom bike but just can do that if its a restorable piece. So I had done a little work awhile back to the tank like this.
20160329_211056_zpscbhrihfp.jpg

After i picked up a autocycle? fork with original paint i decided to stick with that color for the frame. I have been drinking whiskey lately and my go to bottle has been Bulliet burbon. I like the orange on the lable so i decide that was going to be the theme of the bike. Painted and destressed the tank.
IMG_20160410_213544_zpsdxvf4egm.jpg

Added the brand logo.
IMG_20160411_222557_zpsia1cf4wf.jpg

While I had the tank off i cleaned up the horn and got it working again. The guts on the fender light are rotted out bad. Im going to replace it with a new battery pack and LED light.
I wanted a vintage looking wood crate for the back so i cut up some pine and mad a box.
IMG_20160410_213347_zpsh0ruz3cy.jpg

After that i finished painting the bike, distressed the box and added branding to it also. Im going to re cover the seat next but i think its pretty much done.
20160426_115057_zpsnvmfqeie.jpg

IMG_20160426_142343_zpsh4rzuvcw.jpg

IMG_20160426_142454_zpsge5ildhg.jpg

20160426_115113_zpszfsrzctj.jpg

20160426_115018_zpstgcs6x5x.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good. Two things, I have a dx badged as Century so I think that's correct. And second, love that your honoring Bulleit bourbon, my favorite. Way to go.

Back