When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940 Schwinn high low flange drum brake bearings???

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Fifthcenturycheese

Look Ma, No Hands!
The bearings needed for my high low flange drum brake are smaller than the ones used on the large flange drum brake. Can someone tell me what to get to replace them with the correct application? Picture of what was sold to me.

Thank you, Mike.

I have a couple of these, but my spare bearings wouldn't drop into race, So I took apart a unit

And I had 10 3/16 bb jammed in there.. I could look at a service manual + once found will report back.. Been a while since I have built these, but as I remember the first version/ then this version/ last big hub version. All are a challenge to me.

No the # 10 won't fit

For reference the #10 goes into 37 style but won't fit later 40? Style. Just short of taking more stuff apart I'm gonna say the regular #7 bearing might fit script hub- and manual mentions it also will fit brake hub:: but I ain't going into garage to pull large flange down and pull it apart. °15 outside. What manual does say is that small flange made prior to 46 uses loose 3/16 bb .Let's all agree on one thing today- these are small flange hubs. ?

From what I have read in the responses, it appears Schwinn was using a light duty front hub and a heavier duty front hub. My Dad's 1942 World has the smaller bearing, smaller dust cover type front hub. I checked the size of those dust covers with calipers and they seem to be what I am looking for. Without taking it apart, not sure if the bearings are loose or contained in a bearing cage.

Ya, I believe it. The complete hub I have uses a lock nut with only 2 flats on it and is serrated as well..Just used what I had but seems likely it come off old Schwinn at one time or another. I have a lead on cones but I would like to a little more research before I buy. Can u post a picture of the parts u think would work ?

The 40 /41 hi low hubs had a 5/16" axle like the 38/39 brakes then changed to 3/8" post war not sure of bearing diameter

I'm sort of confused but that ain't nothing new . If the axle size is the same maybe the cones from the40 can be used for 37 big brake. And with it the locknuts.

Back