When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940 schwinn new world

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Schwinn New World

While on the topic of Schwinn New Worlds - would anyone have a extra pair of fenders and chain guard for my neglected New World ?
Any help appreciated, Dennis

pre-war new world

Cross-posting from another thread here, but here's a picture of the finally finished semi-restoration of my '39 (IIRC from checking the serial number..) New World. Pulled from a dumpster years ago- looked like a rusty wreck, but there was something cool about it, so I kept it in the back of the garage at my parents' place for the last decade. Amazed at how it cleaned up. Still waiting for a new front wheel for it- stuck one from my Hercules 3-speed on for the time being.

schwinn new world.JPG

Those Scwinns Lightweights are some really cool bikes, I'm working on my dads, Elgin (columbia) lighweight and can't wait to get it back on 2 wheels. Seems like a neat part of bike history that is overlooked by the multi tube crowd. I'm watching the olympic bike race while I type this, a definate relation to these classic bikes.

Yeah yeah yeah

Ok the schwinn was a good bicycle concederng that it was hard to get french italian english bicycles.
But you cannot compare the two my Legnano at 28lbs 3 speed and fenders make that Schwinn (world) American tour
look like !@#$ ...
yes im 093.jpg

Ok the schwinn was a good bicycle concederng that it was hard to get french italian english bicycles.
But you cannot compare the two my Legnano at 28lbs 3 speed and fenders make that Schwinn (world) American tour
look like !@#$ ...

The fact that you are comparing them seems to negate your statement that they cannot be compared. You can always find some basis for comparing two things that are essentially different but considering the discussion here is regarding Schwinn lightweights your comments seem irrelevant to the discussion at hand. Perhaps you could start a separate thread where you offer to compare your Legnano with all comers, be they Schwinn lightweights, Lamborghini Countachs, or aromatic cheeses.

Yes.

im just saying that ! I dont know of any lightweight american or british bicycle (1900-!970)that has won a tour de france or Giro de italia. And I can see y! Ok If you like your bicycle weighting in at 30 or plus good for you! And if you have a bicycle that looks cheesey It probably is Cheeseeeeee!

While the outcome of a bicycle race is more about the fitness level of the rider than their mount, (there is no such thing as a “Fast Bike,” they will just sit there, stationary forever, until you get on and feed them some of your energy.) it certainly does help to have a competitive bicycle when you enter a race. Still, no one ever did or would enter a major race on your commuter/tourist Legnano, it is a nice and attractive bicycle but it is not the last word in lightweight quality construction and its relationship to a Tour or Giro winning bicycle is somewhat akin to the relationship between a Schwinn New World Lightweight and a six day Paramount.

If you are looking for a top end period ride, compare your Legnano to a Prewar Paramount Tourist with components designed and manufactured by Schwinn to equal anything available in the world at that time. I think you will find that Schwinn achieved their goal handily and that their companion, second tier, Superior is at the least equal to (and arguably superior to) a standard tourist Legnano of the time.

Maybe compared to the standard model ok, but mine is not the standard model it was the highest model of the time. And is more rare than the racing models because they were rode hard. Even the racing model was cheaper. Get me a weight on the Schwinn of the time with fenders tourista model! I stand at 28lbs.
yes im 097.jpg

Oh and the head badge has a guy with a sword on it.

Nice Legnano. You should go somewhere and start a thread on it. This thread is about Schwinns, regardless of their weight. I had a 1928 Raleigh that weighed 21 pounds dressed and I've got a '42 Roadmaster that weighs 35 pounds and I really enjoy riding them both but this thread is about Schwinns and I like them a lot too. That's why I'm here, to talk about Schwinns. Let's not start throwing any random old bike in it just to start arguments.
And get a spell checker.

Back