When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940 Umberto Dei resurrection thread

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The Campagnolo NR derailleur didn’t prefer the 1/8 chain, it skipped under load ( I thought the freewheel was failing).

I had this age appropriate 3spd derailleur sitting in a box and decided to figure out out to set it up. It handles the 1/8 chain well.

AAADE371-0519-4019-933D-53852D8E7FF2.jpeg

I need to get a 3 spd freewheel but for now it handles top 3 gears on a 4spd freewheel.

The plan is to bring it on Sunday
another choice for down the road is hunt down a later Magistroni (or even Williams) chainset that will let you use a narrow chain and the Campy x5

C826DA31-2395-4AC4-8CAB-DB4CC5D03C72.jpg

Last edited:
the front fender on my International was the S-shaped fender removed from my wrecked Grand Prix.
Of course, it's aluminum rather than steel. But I was happy to shape it enough to work.

View attachment 781506

I've done the same shaping with the plastic fenders on my Lenton, but they're easier in a way - you heat them with a blow drier. The tricky part there is hitting the working temperature but not heating all the way to the liquidus.

I still own my 1971 Raleigh International.
Love the way they ride.
I bought it when it was new.
I installed, when purchased, a Cinelli fork, stem and handlebars.
Also high flange Campy hubs, brakes. I cut the center pull arc off the seat stays.
Put on a top of the line Campy seat post, Campy handlebar shift levers, Campy Strada crankset, Regina road gear cluster rear, Fiammi Red label and Yellow label rims. I used to ride on Campeonato Del Mundo singletube tires. Best tires, so durable.
I want to find someone to repaint the frame and I need the Brooks saddle.

I realize this is neither here nor there, but there is a famous Italian Neo-realist movie from 1952 called "Umberto D." made by Vittorio De Sica, the director of BICYCLE THIEVES. Unlike Bicycle Thieves, it's not about bikes at all but the lead character is named Umberto D. Ferrari and he's meant to be a somewhat universal aging Italian post-war worker, who is struggling along poorly on his meager pension and has no real friends but his dog, whom he cannot support. I wonder if the writer and director were making a little reference to the bicycle brand from Milan? I've always loved the movie - it's unforgettable - but didn't realize until today there was a bike called the Umberto Die. (Umberto means Bright Warrior, and is the Italian version of Humbert.) Die is as in diety, a name for a god, so it's ironic that a bright, god-like warrior is reduced to being a pensioner in the film.

Cool build, always great to see an old frame get the appreciation it deserves, carry on!

Back