When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940 Umberto Dei resurrection thread

-
You have a good eye; the bike has different wheels, I was figuring out which set to run. The small flange Record wheel has a 700C rim and a 36mm tire; the large flange has a 27” rim with a 1.25” tire, both QR axles fit in the dropouts without modification, I prefer the look of the high flange hubs with 27” rim and the brakes fit better; will most likely run them and considering a solid axle conversion.

The universal calipers were missing the hardware, the Asian washer came out of a spare parts bin, I felt it was better than running a flat washer against the round bridge.

-----

Thanks very much for the response.

Are you confident of the bicycle's original wheel size?

I apologize, do not recall if you got wheels with the frame.

Going by its condorino type I had assumed it would have been built for 650B.

In any case it is good to read there is room to run 27's with mudguards. Gives you options for tyre size.

And wheels easily changed out if you wish to experiment with another size down the road.

One wheel size indication would be where the brake pads are in the adjustment slots when perfectly fitted.

---

@bulldog1935 -

Is your frame pump marked Torpado or is it marked Tornado? Only asking because there is a brand of frame pump called Tornado. It is one of several badges belonging to the french firm AFA, makers of Zefal products.

Tornado frame pump .jpg

-----

Last edited:
-----

Thanks very much for the response.

Are you confident of the bicycle's original wheel size?

I apologize, do not recall if you got wheels with the frame.

Going by its condorino type I had assumed it would have been built for 650B.

In any case it is good to read there is room to run 27's with mudguards. Gives you options for tyre size.

And wheels easily changed out if you wish to experiment with another size down the road.

One wheel size indication would be where the brake pads are in the adjustment slots when perfectly fitted.

---

@bulldog1935 -

Is your frame pump marked Torpado or is it marked Tornado? Only asking because there is a brand of frame pump called Tornado.

-----

I don’t know what the original wheel was;!it had a set of FB track hubs with tubular wheels when I purchased it.

definitely Tornado, the original Zefal - mind burp - it's also Mint.

Most condorinos were made 28".

image-img8945-e420_572cde66-jpg.jpg

condorino-003-jpg.jpg

I have the Afa pump on my Lenton, because it was the only correct size I could find - it's also a very good pump
C3wAbOR.jpg

Last edited:
-----

The lugset on the Doniselli is the Agrati "ROMA" pattern - good looking bicycle!

Purchased one of their truing stands back when I first got into cycle work.

They were a large distributor of parts, accessories and tools at one time.

-----

point of braze-on to point is 39.5cm
Perfection, 42cm, compresses to 39.0 including stored presta tube boss (all NOS).
I'll sell it to you for what I paid, and I'll eat shipping cost from Europe.
@juvela
Doniselli (like Umberto Dei) is still making very nice bikes, including this 28" rod-brake roadster, Afline hub, 1300euros
164-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Tad, I can give you a tip on shaping compound curves in your fenders. To get a tighter radius, spread the sides - work your way down every inch .
To get a larger radius, the opposite - squeeze the sides in.

Last edited:
the front fender on my International was the S-shaped fender removed from my wrecked Grand Prix.
Of course, it's aluminum rather than steel. But I was happy to shape it enough to work.

UuxnOdv.jpg

I've done the same shaping with the plastic fenders on my Lenton, but they're easier in a way - you heat them with a blow drier. The tricky part there is hitting the working temperature but not heating all the way to the liquidus.

Last edited:
the front fender on my International was the S-shaped fender removed from my wrecked Grand Prix.
Of course, it's aluminum rather than steel. But I was happy to shape it enough to work.

View attachment 781506

I've done the same shaping with the plastic fenders on my Lenton, but they're easier in a way - you heat them with a blow drier. The tricky part there is hitting the working temperature but not heating all the way to the liquidus.
Ron,
It sounds like you are applying for the job of fitting the fenders in which you are more than qualified ;)

Back