When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940s-50s west German Sparrenburg + bike swap photos

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Cooper S.

I live for the CABE
While studying abroad this semester I decided to pick up a German bike to bring back to my hoard. I went to a swap meet in Spandau, and picked this Sparrenburg that’s supposedly from the 50s and has had some work done to it.

heres photos from the swap meet. It was held by Historische Fahrräder Berlin and Ulis Museumsladen

The German style of bicycle had certain eccentricities that persisted well into the post-war era. They were often ornately decorated with darts, color burst paint schemes, decals, and large front fender ornaments. The attention to detail in the styling is somewhat contrasted by the puzzling persistence of duck brakes (a rod-driven pad that rubs on the top of the front tire) and single speed coaster brakes. Of all the developed countries, the Germans persisted with the anachronistic duck brake the longest. Even the British rod and stirrup brakes of late 19th and early 20th century were considered an upgrade over the traditional tire brake (let alone the even more advanced side-pull calipers that developed by the 1930s). The Germans certainly had bikes with drum brakes and caliper brakes, but it's interesting to see that the duck brake survived on some of these bikes as late as it did. This is all part of the allure of the German bikes for some people.

They share some elements with Scandanavian bikes, particularly those of the Norwegians and Swedes, but certainly diverge in some ways. There are some elements shared with Dutch bikes as well, though those are more different than one would expect. They share surprisingly little in common with French bikes. Though neighbors, the French and the Germans saw things differently, to say the least.

If you have an opportunity to bring a bike back, I would certainly do it. You'll get a better selection and many of the more native features of German bikes, and probably something that is very uncommon here in the US.

Fascinating peek in to a whole other world of collecting. I wonder what the reaction to a deluxe
American Ballooner would be there?
I showed a few guys a picture of my phantom on my phone and they seemed to like it a lot. My dad said I should have brought a ballooned with and traded, but I think shipping costs would’ve eaten it up

-----

if machine 1958 or later there should be a date marking on the Fichtel & Sachs rear hub

guide to markings given in this forum post -

-----

-----

if machine 1958 or later there should be a date marking on the Fichtel & Sachs rear hub

guide to markings given in this forum post -

-----
It’s definitely older than 58. I might ask around in the Germans Facebook pages and try to get a more specific date later on

Thanks, @Cooper S. , for your report and pictures. Much appreciated! Love the Skootamota. 🥰

The German style of bicycle had certain eccentricities that persisted well into the post-war era. They were often ornately decorated with darts, color burst paint schemes, decals, and large front fender ornaments. The attention to detail in the styling is somewhat contrasted by the puzzling persistence of duck brakes (a rod-driven pad that rubs on the top of the front tire) and single speed coaster brakes. Of all the developed countries, the Germans persisted with the anachronistic duck brake the longest. Even the British rod and stirrup brakes of late 19th and early 20th century were considered an upgrade over the traditional tire brake (let alone the even more advanced side-pull calipers that developed by the 1930s). The Germans certainly had bikes with drum brakes and caliper brakes, but it's interesting to see that the duck brake survived on some of these bikes as late as it did. This is all part of the allure of the German bikes for some people.
They share some elements with Scandanavian bikes, particularly those of the Norwegians and Swedes, but certainly diverge in some ways. There are some elements shared with Dutch bikes as well, though those are more different than one would expect. They share surprisingly little in common with French bikes. Though neighbors, the French and the Germans saw things differently, to say the least.

Some interesting observations there, Sir Mike, which I can relate to. Here in Holland German bicycles never sold well, if at all, due to the lack of perceived quality.

Surprising, for a country that also brought us Mercedes cars and Solingen knives.

Back