When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940s Hawthorne?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

J-wagon

I live for the CABE
Hi all, I need help figuring out year of this Hawthorne franken bike. Bottom bracket stamp looks like SN 107966. I think SN for Snyder? But no letter date code or reverse year format. Thx!

Higher serial numbers (e.g., six digits) may be seen for the 1941 models? I believe that Snyder restarted their sequence every year.

We may have seen some Hawthorne frames with the curved down tube stamped in 40-42, (but first showing up in 1941 catalogs?); the bike does not look like a post war model.

I would probably remove a bit more paint to look for additional stampings.

The reverse year is always before the factory code. The other #'s are probably local PD ID. Either the year was stamped too faintly, or those scratches may have obscured it. That being said, the brass winged H badge wasn't used after '47. That year, deluxe models got the new aluminum badge, through '49, and showing up on the whole line in '48.

Back