When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940s pre-war Schwinn project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

rustjunkie

. . . . . . .
06/23/14
Bought this frame with spring fork last year as a project, haven't had much time to work on it. Came as a frame and fork, so I'm putting it together as a rider with (mostly) parts from the same time period, not concerned with everything being exact and correct.
Thanks to tripple3 for setting me up with the Miller side stand yesterday :cool:
Have found seat, post, wheels, crankset, and fenders that will work.

20140623_001JPG-1.jpg

20140623_003JPG-1.jpg

more to come :cool:

Finally found a headset via ebay, we have accretion:

20140830_001JPG-1.jpg

Cyclelock rebuilt and working perfectly; thanks Wes!
This is not a restoration, so "correctness" of parts isn't important.

Seat is stamped Goodrich, right at that spot where I'd not like recover it, but the condition doesn't fit the project.
If someone would like to work a trade for a "core exchange" I'm up for it.

20140830_002JPG-1.jpg

Working on wheels now.

Notice your rear fender is not fitting correctly. The tab barely has enough length to screw on. Flat braces are for an early model fender and that would explain why it isn't long enough. I had this issue once. The earlier frames had a smaller rear triangle. Is there a number stamped above the fender tab? If there is, it is a special fender for a shorter frame 37 and up. If not, it is most likely a 36 fender.

A little progress on the Schwinn. For me a good way to work on these oldies is to have more than one going, as it takes time to get everything together. Something comes in for one bike while on the hunt for parts for another.
New handlebars from sm2501, installed easily with Craftsman P9 46948 snap ring pliers:

03042015_020JPG-1.jpg

Had some grips in the drawer, and a lil' rugged Silver Ray:

03042015_026JPG-1.jpg

And finally, chain adjusters arrived this week thanks to mongeese :cool:

03042015_016JPG-1.jpg

Not sure if these rims will stay. Dig 'em painted, but they're not as round as they could be: the rear has a bit of a curb ding. Not bad, but Scott likes his wheels round. Might go with something else.

03042015_030JPG-1.jpg

The pedals that were set aside for this bike surfaced today too:

03042015_028JPG-1.jpg

That's it for now!

Back