When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940's Schwinn New World Info??

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
If you want to clean but not polish the rims-- try bronze or copper wool and some WD-40. Use a light touch. The more you put into it, the cleaner they will be. If you wanted to go the whole way, you'd do this treatment, then follow with a quality chrome polish like Simichrome. If you just want clean and not polished, skip the finishing polish step.

The rims are Lobdell and the hubs are stamped Schwinn. the rims could use a cleaning and/or polishing but i dont want them too perfect as it will clash with the rest of the patina. any suggestions?
I would leave them as is if it were me, but I suppose if you wanted to, soap and water and a toothbrush would be the least abrasive. Bronze or copper wool is softer than steel wool, but will still take you down to bare metal pretty quickly.

Last edited:
I think i will leave the wheels as it. Did Schwinn make a period correct taller stem than the shorty that is on there now?

That's a Wald stem on there and they did make a tall one:

image-jpg.jpg

So I have three of these the early one has this guard and messenger seat , i figure it to be 39 because of the fined front fender but has a shielded American flyer badge torrington racing style block pedals maybe built for hardware store sales? the 38 has a differant guard like an aerocycle no finned fender Torrington diamond block pedals with nuts not clips caliper brakes and a schwinn leather paramount style seat with a triangled pattern of springs underneath, the 41 has drum brakes front and back the messenger B-1 or 60 style springs and small round world badge finned fender aerocycle style guard torrington 8 pedals lockng fork. I am just assuming the years based on viewing literature photos but I think like balloon tired bikes of about all manufacturers they built them with what was on the shelf that day so to say this is correct or thats correct is meerly speculation .... the early bikes are like 9+ the 41 has orig paint patina i am keeping it anyone with interest in the other two pm me.

Doubt for being a lightweight, you'll find much difference in the years 1939-41 and reasoning; possibly 42 is because there's no accurate data base albeit, what's availd lists this for 41: G-H letters so an I is newer potentially 42, and without any catalogs in 42 to go by too.
G32427-H93415 1941

Nice bike too! just need the right seat and chain guard and you're set.

1941:
Men's Tourist
Model W1-M
View attachment 617978
Men's Tourist

Specifications

Frame: Finest American seamless drawn steel tubing.
Fork: Double tapered oval to round seamless drawn steel tubing.
Tires: Schwinn Superior 26 x 1 1/4".
Rims: Schwinn Superior.
Front Hub: New Departure.
Coaster Brake: New Departure, Morrow or Musselman.
Chain: Diamond Roller. 1/8 x 1/2" pitch or 3/16" x 1" pitch.
Crank: 6 1/2" offset.
Pedal Sprocket: 46 tooth 1/2" pitch or 24 tooth 1" pitch.
Pedals: Torrington.
Handlebar: Boy Scout.
Grips: Long, black.
Saddle: Schwinn English type Lightweight, or Mesinger.
Guards: New lightweight gothic style.
Chain Guard: Enameled.
Colors: Standard.

I don't think yours was a 3 speed because there's no heavy wear, where Schwinn put the gear shifter but it my be.

Men's Tourist
Model W3MSC
View attachment 617979
Men's Tourist

Schwinn Built
New World-3 Speed
English Type
3-Piece Crank set- Caliper Brakes, Front and Rear

Schwinn Lightweight Bicycles equipped with the 3 speed hub permits the rider to choose the gear ratio best suited to meet road conditions- thus lessening fatigue and adding to the pleasure of cycling. Gear change made while riding by simply operating small lever on top bar.

Specifications

Frame: Finest American seamless drawn steel tubing.
Fork: Double tapered oval to round seamless drawn steel tubing.
Tires: Schwinn Superior, 26 x 1 1/4".
Rims: Schwinn Superior.
Front Hub: New Departure.
Rear Hub: Sturmy-Archer three speed, wide range gearing. Operated by lever on top bar.
Chain: Diamond Roller. 1/8 x 1/2" pitch or 3/16" x 1" pitch.
Hanger Set: Popular oval shaped five pin type, three piece.
Crank: 6 1/2" offset.
Pedal Sprocket: 46 tooth 1/2" pitch or 24 tooth 1" pitch.
Pedals: Torrington.
Handlebar: Boy Scout.
Brakes: Caliper front and rear. Operated by levers on handlebar.
Grips: Long, Black.
Saddle: Schwinn English type Lightweight, or Mesinger.
Guards: New Lightweight, Gothic style.
Chain Guard: Enameled.
Colors: Standard.
Cycelock: Available at small additional cost on all Tourist models.

View attachment 617980
http://schwinncruisers.com/catalogs/1941.html
Interesting to see the use of a Boy Scout Bar on this model, mostly the sports tourist bars were seen on these.

Back