When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1941-42 Schwinn New World

-
Front wheel definitely has more crust than the back does, but I like it. Oh yeah, one more part to add to this one.
The devil’s in the details after all...

Love the spine on him.

My 41 front wheel has the cycle counter nub too but not the counter anymore. :( Must have been popular.
IMG_0010.JPG

The blackout BB cups make me think it’s a 42 bike. Early wartime when Schwinn still had chrome parts on hand for almost everything.

@Eric Amlie

Thanks. I’m fortunate that my boss lets me work on the bicycles at work when it’s slow;)

@Miq

I would agree on it being a 1942. I just wish it had a few more blackout parts on it. It was very tempting to put a complete set of bottom bracket blackout parts on it. I resisted and left it as found though

@jpromo

when I saw the devil riding inside a tire for sale on eBay, I knew I had to buy it. I got a couple other different ones that were for sale too, so they may show up on other builds in the near future

I ran into a problem with the front hub. I need to find new bearings for it. I was not aware, but apparently there are 2 different sizes of bearings/races on the Schwinn script hubs. And unfortunately I don’t have an extra set of the smaller ones that this hub uses

• Wow
Reactions: Miq
Was a good day at the swap meet today. Scored a couple new tires and a Schwinn script front hub! So now I can finish my front wheel! And the tires will make it rideable now too :)

The handlebars were bent, so a swap out of bars was in order. New tires went on pretty easily. And finally, I decided to give myself a little more top speed by swapping my hub gear out. Went from a 24 down to a 20. I like it. So now, the last thing I need to do is shorten my chain a little. Too bad my chain breaker tool is at home, and I’m at work

This is my first venture into lightweight bikes, so I figured this was a good bike to start with. I’ve been wanting a skinny tire bike to ride for a while now and prewar bikes are my favorite. When I saw this one for sale here on the CABE, and it was very close to my house, I jumped on it.
My initial hope was to do a little cleaning and then ride it. But while cleaning it I decided to delve into it further.

I would like to locate a similar one.

Here are the pics I took last Sunday when I picked it up.

View attachment 1251633

View attachment 1251634

View attachment 1251635

View attachment 1251637

View attachment 1251638

View attachment 1251639

View attachment 1251640

Back