When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1941 Autocycle - What to do with it??

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Yep, you're distroying a bit of bicycle history just sell it to someone who will look after it and ride it..
Frankly there is more to life than bloody greed...

Thanks, I asked for opinions and I have got yours (to which you are eminently entitled, even though several experts on thecabe have contrary thoughts to yours).

I'm just not going to give the bike away because that would only increase the probability of it being parted out by someone else.

Clamp should be part of the frame on a 41.

I am a novice at old bikes so you could well be correct. Here is a close up picture:
IMG_0139.jpg

Have you offered it complete? Someone could faux patina the tank and have a nice rider. Thats what i would do. What do you value it at complete?

I am still in the process of deciding what I will do with the bike:
1. Part it out
2. Sell it intact
3. Keep it and find correct seat, pedals, etc

In order to reduce the probability of someone buying it and then parting it out themselves, I am not going to sell it for less than 65% of its parts value.

Sell the bars, saddle, and magna pedals a la carte.
Clean the rims as best you can and ask what you'd like for the rest intact.
Wait a couple of weeks and if no respectable offer, then part it out, but keep frame/ fork/ badge together, and fenders together.
If the tank wasn't in primer, my response would be different, if were in a common color, my response would be different.
A 3-4 condition bike doesn't usually get my sympathy, but this a rare color.
Chris

I'd sell the tank, saddle, and pedals a al carte since they aren't correct anyway and offer the rest whole first. Tank isn't real easy or real cheap but its not like your trying to find a hanging canti. The seat and pedals are easy and you wold have a great crusty rider. As it stands now, according to my math, it would take $875. V/r Shawn

Wait a couple of weeks and if no respectable offer, then part it out, but keep frame/ fork/ badge together, and fenders together.
If the tank wasn't in primer, my response would be different, if were in a common color, my response would be different.
Chris

Chris--

Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts.

I'd sell the tank, saddle, and pedals a al carte since they aren't correct anyway and offer the rest whole first. Tank isn't real easy or real cheap but its not like your trying to find a hanging canti. The seat and pedals are easy and you wold have a great crusty rider. As it stands now, according to my math, it would take $875. V/r Shawn

Shawn--

I appreciate your thoughts. Yesterday, I bought some Torrington 10 pedals that sort of match the bike and I am looking at some prewar B1 seats. The bike would indeed make a wonderful crusty rider. With correct pedals and better seat, it will be a pretty neat old survivor bike. I will watch for a tank but the tank isn't a show stopper.

Chris

I've replaced the Magna pedals with Torrington 10s.

What are the Magna pedals worth?

IMG_0207.jpg
IMG_0208.jpg
IMG_0210.jpg

I would much prefer to sell it complete. HoweVer, from what I have been told, it is only worth $650 max if sold intact, but it is worth about double that amount in parts value.

I agree, with correct seat and pedals and with the tank patina painted, it would be an awesome rider.

It is a real survivor and is very solid, no rust except the seat pan.

It's only worth $1300 if you can actually get that much for them. I don't claim to be a Schwinn guy, but it only appears to be worth $1000 in parts to me.

Last edited:
It's only worth $1300 if you can actually get that much for them. I don't claim to be a Schwinn guy, but it only appears to be worth $1000 in parts to me.

I had several Schwinn experts help me determine the parts values.

But, for the time being, I am replacing the pedals, the seat and the front light cover with the correct items and will watch for a tank with the right patina. It is a great rider and should be even more interesting with all correct parts.

Back