When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1941 Chain Guard

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

rigid76

Look Ma, No Hands!
So I have this 41 Autocycle with this unusual chain guard. I studied the frame for markings thinking maybe it originally had a deluxe chain guard but there aren't any. I searched the internet and found 3 1941 Schwinns with this guard, DX with aluminum fenders, cantilever Autocycle with painted fenders, and a C model with painted fenders. So I'm just assuming it's original but would love to find out more about it. If you have a bike with the guard or literature please post.
guard 1.JPG
41b.JPG

I don't have pics or Catalog but the deluxe guard that year is "Clamped" to chain stay of frame. 1 year only is my understanding. The guard looks the same as post war without the rear frame "Tab" for mount. I hope that makes sense....my understanding explained my way?

Also shown in the Island Cycle Supply catalog reprint...have we figured out what year that catalog is?

So I have this 41 Autocycle with this unusual chain guard. I studied the frame for markings thinking maybe it originally had a deluxe chain guard but there aren't any. I searched the internet and found 3 1941 Schwinns with this guard, DX with aluminum fenders, cantilever Autocycle with painted fenders, and a C model with painted fenders. So I'm just assuming it's original but would love to find out more about it. If you have a bike with the guard or literature please post.
View attachment 194829View attachment 194830
That's not the same guard as on the aluminum fender dx. I'd say it's just aftermarket...
a314f589545cb65a3722fe75f3e0d5d5-1.jpg

Would have come with this guard shown below on blue autocycle. It looks like yours has some wear on the stay way back towards the drop out plate where the clamp would have been
50eb4f862a8cb68f42927abd1c8d7a14-1.jpg

Last edited:
Rustjunkie yours is different, I went and looked at the other two 41's and their like mine. Kinda weird, maybe the kids wanted chrome chain guards and put aftermarket ones on. Well I'll run with it until a black and creme deluxe guard pops up. At least it's era correct and has lots of patina.

Chainguards

Chainguards. Have them both. These are both in the island cycle catalogs as accessories. Rob.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
My Ranger Cycle Truck has the same guard. I think mine is a 1940 but it could be a 1941.

Attachments

• IMG_0127.jpg
    IMG_0127.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 275
Back