When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sold 1941 Colson Imperial Grillnose Project FOR SALE

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

scrubbinrims

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
First of all, I apologize for the pictures being jumbled and not sure why they are not appearing in the order I selected and not understanding how to change this...

Unfortunately, I have had to recently abandon this restoration running short on money and time and I do not have the skills to bring her home myself. :(

The frame, cushioner fork, fenders, delta roadlighter come from a '41 Firestone Supercruiser which uses all of the same parts as Colson's rare and top of the line '41 Imperial "Grillnose."
In my 10 years in the hobby I have seen only 1 come up for sale back in 2012 from a barn in PA in which I was the underbidder...at the time I was going to wait for another, preferring an original paint example, but I didn't expect never seeing anything but a small pile of parts from the same prewar bike (extra fender to template, tank, rack) hit the market since.
It is truly a cool, rare bike not available on the Firestone and Goodyear contracts and was 1- year issued before reassembled in '49 with different components. These are all '41 prewar components (with the possible exception of the badge?) and nothing is reproduction.
What needs to be finished on the bike is the headbadge holes on the headtube need to be filled and new badge holes drilled, the rack is missing the seat stay tabs + bracket which have broke off and missing, but it is the correct lit rack with all of the internals intact and the lens is there with issues.
Both the rack and the tank have been chemically stripped outside with original burgundy paint on the inside intact, no issues on the inside of the tank, but a couple of small dings to tank that will work out and are easy to access.
The wheels are from a '41 Goodyear Double Eagle girls bike and why the chain is sagging with only 9 teeth...I will include a 10 tooth sprocket to go with the correct date hub.
The chainguard is the early blister style that floats without a rear stay so I have included another if that's what you prefer.
Chrome on the cushioner is pretty good as is the crank and other chrome bits, except the rims which are smooth to restore.
Pedals are a nice pair of Magna's and there is no seat included or tires/tubes...I could add these, but it's being offered at a price point to move IMO without.

1365.00 shipped is where I am at now and could be your only chance to own one.
Paypal friend/no fee (or add 3%) check or money order.

Chris

20180829_102705_Film1.jpg

20180829_102623_Film1.jpg

20180829_102554_Film1.jpg

20180829_102548_Film1.jpg

20180829_102746_Film1.jpg

20180829_102641_Film1.jpg

20180829_102615_Film1.jpg

20180829_102650_Film1.jpg

20180829_102604_Film1.jpg

Last edited:
Perhaps not. Along with the price I am wondering if there is a difference between pre war and post war grill tanks. My blister tanks are different.

Perhaps not. Along with the price I am wondering if there is a difference between pre war and post war grill tanks. My blister tanks are different.

I do not know, I've seen a postwar grillnose up close, but never owned both to compare side by side. Mine has a tube piece that wedges between the top tubes that screws in the rear halves only, the front is held by the grill.
There are pretty much differences everywhere else once you know what to look for.
Chris

I do not know, I've seen a postwar grillnose up close, but never owned both to compare side by side. Mine has a tube piece that wedges between the top tubes that screws in the rear halves only, the front is held by the grill.
There are pretty much differences everywhere else once you know what to look for.
Chris
Yes. I have noticed a few subtle differences. Hate to mix and match. I will try to find out. Thanks!

Back