When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1941 Compax

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

41compax

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi, It was suggested to me that what I had asked in my introduction post, would be more appropriately asked in the general forums, so I’ll see if I can get it right this time. I’m in the process of restoring a 1941 Compax that has been in my family since about 1950. Most of the bike has been disassembled and I’m currently working on the wheels. I’ll need new spokes and nipples if I can find them but need to ask what is the difference between an 080 spoke and an 080-060 spoke? I have ordered a Park Tool ruler to verify but I think the spokes are 11 3/8” from the start of the head curve to the threaded end and have seen those 2 types online in that length. I guess it might not make that much difference but I would like to restore the bike as close to original specifications as possible. Ricobike has already been kind enough to answer the following but if someone else has other options, I’d appreciate them if my “local” bike shops can’t get what he suggested. What I had asked then was “I’d also like to ask if anyone knows what currently available tire is a correct replacement for a GOODYEAR RIB NYLON 26 x 1.375? The closest 2 bike places to me say they need an ISO number to find the right tire but the current tires are likely either the original tires or the first replacement tires and only say “for hooked edge rim”, along with the number 180240 on one side and 180240-2 on the other side. Any info or leads will be appreciated. ” Thanks for your time!

tire.rear.a.side1.jpg

tire.rear.a.side3.jpg

26 x 1.375 is an odd pre WW2 tire size that does not exist any more. It was used by Schwinn among others other and the new metric ETRTO size is 599 which is where the bead seat fits. There are 2 other sizes that are similar but do not interchange. Raleigh and many others used 26 x 1 3/8 tires with a bead seat size of 590 and Schwinn had a post war 26 x 1 3/8 tire for S-5 and S-6 rims the was 597 bead seat size. All three of those tires are different and do not interchange. You will have a hard time find tires for that bike. More than you wanted to know. Roger

Hi Roger, Actually that’s exactly the kind of info I wanted to know because I don’t know anything about the subject, other than what I’m told – so thank you much for your post, as it is what it is. Ricobike thinks that a 37-597 will fit, even if not entirely correctly, apparently because he’s done it on a similar bike. This bike came with a Stewart Warner Floating Hub on the front and a New Departure Brake on the rear. Even though I haven’t completely de-spoked either one, following soaking in Evaporust, I can tell both rims need to be re-chromed at an as yet unknown cost. Therefore, your post raises another question. Do you know if similar looking “skinny” chromed rims can be purchased new and for which “modern” tires are readily available? The reason I ask is this bike will stay in the family and although probably not ridden often, changing now to rims for which tires will likely still be available in 50 years, might be a logical alternative. Lastly and although I don’t know enough about the “re-spoking” issue, is it safe to assume that new spokes/nipples could be found to reuse both the Stewart Warner and New Departure hubs with the new rims? Thanks! PS: Knowing my luck, in 50 years, chances are 3-D printed tires for a 26 x 1.375 will be both common and cheap.

Hi Roger, Actually that’s exactly the kind of info I wanted to know because I don’t know anything about the subject, other than what I’m told – so thank you much for your post, as it is what it is. Ricobike thinks that a 37-597 will fit, even if not entirely correctly, apparently because he’s done it on a similar bike. This bike came with a Stewart Warner Floating Hub on the front and a New Departure Brake on the rear. Even though I haven’t completely de-spoked either one, following soaking in Evaporust, I can tell both rims need to be re-chromed at an as yet unknown cost. Therefore, your post raises another question. Do you know if similar looking “skinny” chromed rims can be purchased new and for which “modern” tires are readily available? The reason I ask is this bike will stay in the family and although probably not ridden often, changing now to rims for which tires will likely still be available in 50 years, might be a logical alternative. Lastly and although I don’t know enough about the “re-spoking” issue, is it safe to assume that new spokes/nipples could be found to reuse both the Stewart Warner and New Departure hubs with the new rims? Thanks! PS: Knowing my luck, in 50 years, chances are 3-D printed tires for a 26 x 1.375 will be both common and cheap.

Sometimes the 597 works and sometimes it does not. The sidewall depth of the rim makes a difference in fitting. I would try the 597 tires. I was able to to fit 597s to my old Westfield Sports Roadster from 1940.

Sometimes the 597 works and sometimes it does not. The sidewall depth of the rim makes a difference in fitting. I would try the 597 tires. I was able to to fit 597s to my old Westfield Sports Roadster from 1940.

I think sidewall diameter is the key. Here's a picture of a Columbia rim off of a Compax lightweight next to a Schwinn S-6 rim. As you can see the S-6 rim is shorter in the center, but the sidewalls match up exactly the same. I don't have 597 tires on my lightweight Compax, but I can't see how they wouldn't fit. Also, I believe that the Sports Roadster would have the same rims so I'm not surprised that you were able to make them fit.

IMG_0590.JPG

If it were me I would look at Sun aluminum rims which can be bought in the 590 size which is a much more common tire that has the same effective outside diameter as the other 2 sizes. I have several prewar Schwinn New Worlds that came with 599 tires/rims and all now have Schwinn S-6 597 rims and tires and there is no difference in the way they look or ride. If it is going to be a family bike and not a restoration you have many options. Roger

Hi all, I just checked this thread after getting a private message - I didn't realize there were more posts. In any case, I just found this on ebay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kenda-K23-...528684&hash=item284958bf49:g:xe8AAOSwY~1aL~Hv I've never heard of this brand but can I assume that any 26 x 1.375 tire will fit my rims, regardless of maker? Also, my rims have rust on the insides and outsides. Is surface rust that will be removed before re-chroming a big problem? - English translation - should 77 year old rusted rims (not deeply pitted) still be strong/safe enough to use for riding? If not, then maybe Roger's Sun aluminum rims are a better solution. I really want this to be a restoration but am flexible if I can't find all the correct parts. Thanks to all! Lary

I have had 597s work on the Westfield and on Lobdell rims. For the price of one tire, I would try it. Worst case, you are out $20 or whatever.

If it were me I would look at Sun aluminum rims which can be bought in the 590 size which is a much more common tire that has the same effective outside diameter as the other 2 sizes. I have several prewar Schwinn New Worlds that came with 599 tires/rims and all now have Schwinn S-6 597 rims and tires and there is no difference in the way they look or ride. If it is going to be a family bike and not a restoration you have many options. Roger

Hi Roger, My delay in replying was to research what you said. Being the novice I am, I just didn't understand. That said and having done a lot of searches, am I correct in assuming they don't make the Schwinn S-6 597 rims anymore, so I would have to find used rims of that type if I decided to go that way? On the other hand, I see I can still order the Sun CR-18 590 mm (26 x 1 3/8) as new and can get those either in polished or satin. Therefore, am I correct in assuming that since neither rim would be correct for the Compax, the Sun 590 is the better and probably cheaper option, even allowing for new spokes, tires, and truing? If so, do you think a reasonably competent bike shop would be able find the right spokes to use to reinstall my Stewart Warner Floating Hub and New Departure Brake WITHOUT having to drill either hub for larger spokes? As the best business associate I ever had used to say "I sure wish I understood all I know about this stuff". Thanks again for your reply as I think I learned a little just trying to figure out what you were trying to tell me, Lary PS: Would the Schwinn S-6 597 rims have used the same sized spokes as on my bike and therefore not require drilling out my hub spoke holes?

Back