When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1941 Compax

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I have had 597s work on the Westfield and on Lobdell rims. For the price of one tire, I would try it. Worst case, you are out $20 or whatever.

I'm waiting on a reply from having written Kenda directly but I'm going to order one to see if they will fit the Compax before I de-spoke the front rim. That would be the easiest solution but probably the most costly, since apparently re-chroming rims requires a second mortgage.

Hi Roger and SirMike1983, I'd been waiting to get the Kenda tires before removing the spokes from my front rim, since I'd already de-spoked my rear rim. I finally got the Kenda tires and have a followup question. Although the bead that fits under the edge on the rim on the Kenda tires isn't as deep or pronounced as on the original Goodyear tires, I was able to seat the Kenda onto my rim using only my hands - no tools. I didn't try putting in a tube but before I de-spoke the front rim, I'd like to know if the fact that the ISO 37-597 tire appears to fit my rim, are there any other considerations I need to make before I de-spoke that rim? By that I mean, I 'd like to spend the money to get both rims re-chromed for reuse before officially installing new tires and tubes. So asked another way, if the Kenda will go onto my rim, should it also seat itself properly when finally inflated - i.e. - should the height and width and whatever other factors of which I am ignorant, also accommodate my rims?

Probably will. If the front rim is still laced, try loading a tire and tube and inflating to operating pressure after seating. I'd do a full test at operating pressure and proper seating before unlacing and re-plating.

Probably will. If the front rim is still laced, try loading a tire and tube and inflating to operating pressure after seating. I'd do a full test at operating pressure and proper seating before unlacing and re-plating.

I put the tire back on, inserted a tube, and then inflated. The inner bead on tire itself "mostly" seats but there is about 2" on either side of the tire that doesn't seem to want to "expand" all the way - where I can see the raised round ring on both sides of the tire all the way around. Obviously if I knew the proper terminology, I could communicate better - ha. Seriously, since this is the first tire I've put on a bike on decades, what I'm trying to describe, might work itself out with more weight on the tire and/or a little lubricant before/during inflation. Said another way, it's very close - just not perfect yet. Thanks!

You may want to save the original spokes and rims, then replace with modern rims and spokes. Use the fattest tires that will fit, like Continental RetroRides. These have Kevlar lining for puncture resistance. This will give you a great ride.

284F3756-6979-4F09-A751-842EA487361B.jpeg

21A19797-FBC8-46D3-9E1D-ED9FAA1D3D83.jpeg

00D15424-E689-4321-9BBF-7ED43DB73B72.jpeg

Back