When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1941 Firestone supercruiser Restoration

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I might experiment on this one on dulling the clear. Going to try rubbing compound first and if that doesn't work going with a scotch bright pad. I will be ready for ann arbor just not sure I want to take it up there.

Ready to be assembled hoping to get it together this weekend if the weather stays nice.
005-30.gif

006-28.gif

009-26.gif

010-25.gif

013-23.gif

017-17.gif

016-20.gif

Dulling the clear coat

Nate a good product to use that the body shops use for blending clear over existing clear like on a roof post is a extra fine white scotch brite pad barely leaves super fine scratches in conjunction with a creme callled blend prep which you can get in different grits as well and you can buy these at autobody supply shops then you can use compound to get your specific shine back. Good luck

Really looks nice Nate, but I wonder why folks use clear coating only to finely scratch it off?

To my knowledge, manufacturing in the day did not use a clear coat and paint has a gloss to it anyway by degree that should satisfy varying tastes.

Why not just paint and go?

Chris

Paint

They used to use laquer paint but it is toxic and hard to get and very exspensive but if sprayed on satin and then you buff out to shine desired

Some states Ohio being one I believe that laquer based paint can't be purchased in the state since it is toxic. I believe you can still get it in Michigan.

Some states Ohio being one I believe that laquer based paint can't be purchased in the state since it is toxic. I believe you can still get it in Michigan.

It took somebody who probably went painting without a mask on to get these laws passed. Another problem that I run into are the paints on middleweight bikes of the 50s and 60s. They almost have a metallic look to them, so I'm sure I'll have to get crafty trying to replicate the look.

Back