When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1941 HAWTHORNE ALL AMERICAN???

-

all riders

Finally riding a big boys bike
I'm gonna try and keep it short. I have this fork with what seems like OG paint. The frame it was on is '51 (I think)--so this is the generally correct version of the fork for that year---with the springer part still having the pencil-like legs, but the truss rods are of an older, '40s type. Somewhere in the early '50s the pencil legs and crown/spring perch were painted rather than chromed(again, I believe) . So this iteration of the Snyder springer, with Chromed, pencil-legged springer parts and these truss rods, is correct from 1941 to say about late '40s. I CAN'T FIND evidence of this fork having these pinstripes in any year other than 1941. Adverts from that year show these pins(on this type fork) for both the All American and the highest level($) Deluxe.
Am I right? does anybody have an original later model with these pins? Here's why I ask-- If this is actually a one year fork(by way of paint) I would like to see it go to someone who has the right bike--especially an All American which I will actually call rare. Thoughts? comments?

Thank you mrg, I thought I saw a reference to the locking fork as being an upgrade--perhaps it was referring to the lock itself which, apparently, were Wise but clearly marked CWC. Also, I wonder if you know, was the locking fork built that way or were the lock tabs on a plate the went under the fork, like some lowere truss-rod brackets do?

On the Snyder built springers the locking tab plate was welded under the triple plate, lock was a option on all models but was stock on AA and other top of the line models.

Thanks for resolving a dilemma for me. My frame looks original but turned out to be a decent looking, but poorly prepped, repaint that is now failing. I am going to paint the whole thing(including fork) to my liking but was concerned about messing up something special.

Reactions: mrg
Back