When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1941 Hawthorne

-
Still need to go through the whole thing but I got the front fender mounted correctly, cleaned the wheels a bit and put some new tires on it so it is ridable now. Woohoooo! :D

1941Hawthorne031_zpsdebc81c8-1.jpg

1941Hawthorne033_zps2b158b18-1.jpg

Nice Adam! I notice your bike has a curved down tube whereas mine is straight. I'm not sure exactly what the difference is there. Were they building both style frames at the same time or is that two different years?

Get that baby together! :D

Just did a little cleaning on the springer parts. I used paint thinner and a brass brush to scrub the loose and dusty looking stuff off. The springer strut and spring cleaned up nicely! I actually cleaned the truss rods as well, but they are painted so they don't look too much different. But they are clean! :D

Before:
1941Hawthorne033_zps2b158b18-1.jpg

After:
1941Hawthorne035_zps76f88da5-1.jpg

Getting the color to look it's best

Hi, I see you got a real beauty there and I wanted to share something I discovered here on the CABE. You may know already, but if you use WD40 on all the painted areas it will look real rich. I used 600 wet and dry sandpaper very carefully on my 41 Roadmaster, and I am super happy with the results. Yes, dust does collect on it easier, but I just wipe it down every few weeks so it always look "wet" and wipe off the excess. Polishes seem to just collect in the cracked/Mature finish and leave a chalky look.

Mike Siddons

IMG_1980 My 41 Roadmaster.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip Mike! That's a sweet looking Roadmaster! I see you are in Manhattan Beach. I am in Redondo. We should hook up for a ride some time! Maybe we can even get a few more SoBay'ers to join in. :D

It is a coaster brake light switch, I have one on a bike I bought, I haven't tried to get it all wired up yet but it looks pretty self explanatory.

Thanks for that enlightenment! Now I know why there's a wire going down to the rear hub of my Hawthorne. Thought it was some kind of ground wire before.

Dave

Nice Adam! I notice your bike has a curved down tube whereas mine is straight. I'm not sure exactly what the difference is there. Were they building both style frames at the same time or is that two different years?

Get that baby together! :D

You know, I'm not sure if production overlapped. But the straight tube design is older.

Back