When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1941 Schwinn razor stem... AS wedge bolt or not?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Some photos of the bike stems & seat clamps(from prewar to the postwar)

20201010_172248.jpg

20201010_172448.jpg

20201010_172604.jpg

20201010_172120.jpg

20201010_172153.jpg

More examples of the seat clamps styles changes from the prewar weld into the frame to the removable" D "style w different AS and to the long and short none D style, more common use for racks or more modern models*!*

20200916_145243.jpg

20200818_125407_Signature.jpg

20200818_125625_Signature.jpg

Over the years I always thought that at some point, an AS bolt equipped bike past thru some hands and those people had an AS bolt fetish so they replaced the AS bolts with unmarked replacements before they sold the bike. :tonguewink:

That wouldn't surprise me a bit today. It would surprise me a lot back in 76 when I got this bike. Balooners were completely out of style, nobody gave a damn, and they all thought I was nuts for attempting to restore one.

My 1941 Has the AS bolt. I assume it's original since the rest of the bike is

It was a long time ago, but I can picture looking down at the cheezy 70s speedometer I had on it back then and seeing "AS" on the gooseneck. Good to know that it's possible. I was beginning to wonder if I had imagined it. Now I just need to find one. I still have to straighten the stem though. I guess I'll wait to post an ad until I find out whether the stem breaks.

Some photos of the bike stems & seat clamps(from prewar to the postwar)

View attachment 1281634

View attachment 1281635

What year is that one? Is that nut the same as any of the later postwar stuff?

Hello @bloo the regular bolts none D type are from prewar models, no marking but the same Schwinn type nut! Same happens to the stem bolts at the handle bar! If do you search here or the internet, you will find other bikes from many brands that has same or similar issues, it's not only at Schwinn brand! For example the Columbia anniversary, Roadmaster etc... someone wants to improve or change the old original part but no more chrome for a same new ones*!*

Back