When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1941 (?) Schwinn what do I have here.

-
had to go wipe the dirt off and take a look again. must be electroforged. just the seat mast.

To my eyes it looks like a nice fillet brazed joint, like the downtube joint. Dark paint doesn't make it easy. Interesting piece and I'll have to check the numbers out, but I think that's the lowest one so far that has shown up with the EF shell.

I was going to wait until I got a dogleg crank to do the bearings but pulled the crank to see what was up in there. only the seat mast is part of the electroforging. the others are all fillet brazed. did some googling on Schwinn frames and found out they even made their own tubing. rolls of steel came in one end of the factory and bikes left at the other end is how Sheldon Brown put it.

I took pictures inside the bottom bracket and loaded them on my computer and then my internet went out so I don't have them here at work.

looked inside the bottom bracket of a non Schwinn I have and the tubes were protruding into the shell through holes, then brazed on the outside.

here you go. this is all interesting. I never really thought much about how these were put together before. I'd like to see pictures of the machines that made these... wonder if these individual pieces ever show up for sale having never been built.

Looks like the seat tube was EF to the shell! Interesting!! A few months ago I was only seeing the J serials with the EF seat post tube

Lets go a little deeper and see what we can find. The head tube, down tube and top tube joints look pretty clean from what I can see in the pictures. Is the head tube also Electro-forged or are the joints filet brazed? Have you had the fork out yet?

head tube is electro-forged.

was there a discussion recently on these frames? mine has a flat spot on the top tube while others do not.

I have one of the wheels down to original paint and pinstripes. no markings anywhere.

head tube is electro-forged.

was there a discussion recently on these frames? mine has a flat spot on the top tube while others do not.

I have one of the wheels down to original paint and pinstripes. no markings anywhere.

I think the discussion was on a straight bar frame, not the DX. ?? So the head tube was full on EF? Any pics of the inside like those fabulous BB shell shots?

no pics tonight. looks just like the piece I have seen in those frame parts displays. that electro-forging must be quite the process to see. what year did they start doing this?

no pics tonight. looks just like the piece I have seen in those frame parts displays. that electro-forging must be quite the process to see. what year did they start doing this?

We are figuring that out right now! I was thinking in early 1943 using the wartime New Worlds with the J series serial numbers. Never have I seen a balloon bike during this time that was EF'd. Crank dated or no? I have a 43 crank with 7" legs that was attached to a sweatheart ring. I was assuming it was off a New World but all those seem to have the 6.5" legs.

Back