When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1941 Super Deluxe Autocycle Bumpers

-

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
So there was some discussion concerning whether or not all '41 SDs had the bumpers in the DOND ad for the bike I bought. After a little more research I'm inclined to say that all '41 SDs did have the bumpers. Quickly I looked at three original bikes-@Greg M. and both of @cyclingday. All three have the bumpers. Only the restored bikes don't have bumpers. As I see it not a big deal on a restored bike. A small piece of tube, a few minutes of welding, and then repaint the down tube area and all is good. Can anyone can show me a pic of a legit, original bike without the bumpers?

584E3A29-1A3D-4841-AB88-3B09D56C9DDE.jpeg

Autocycle 004.JPG

Autocycle 008.JPG

d8888ff6ff627508de2c722392ddbeb5.jpg

Yeah, I think it stands to reason, that since the 41 Super Deluxe was the Flagship model, that always came equipped standard with the Spring Fork, they all got the frame bumper.
The Spring Fork could be ordered as an option on just about any model, so the frames you see without the bumpers were most likely not originally intended to be fully equipped models.
But, just about anything was possible in the quest to build bikes and fill orders.
So, I wouldn’t completely rule out the possibility that there were some fully equipped, Super Deluxe models, that made it out the door without its frame/fork bumper installed.

There are a few things that could explain this situation and one is obviously the bike was not a factory built deluxe. Another is the actual time line these Deluxe models were built. Having all the serial numbers on all the original bikes would help shed some light on this but that's not going to happen.

41 what a awesome year always loved 41 ballooners . I especially like they ways they were different than earlier years. Being lot of parts were on found that year only . That being said I am by no means a schwinn nerd . But I do have 5 , 41 s
2 straight bars my springer model has bumper . a original DX Springer with bumpers and 2 Auto cycles my restoration was done by Bob . It’s amazing springer model he even said he changed it to a springer, I wish he had not . What I find especially strange about the one Shawn bought was the phantom looking head set and the chain guard mounts . Maybe I’m missing something. Like I said I’m not a expert.

Back