When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1941 Western Flyer with "V" for Victory

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

thogsez

Look Ma, No Hands!
I've just recently upgraded the tires, pedals, and grips. Just in time for the 4th!
I'm assuming the CW in the serial number indicates a Cleveland Welding Co built bike even though it was assumed to be Huffman built on an earlier thread?
2011-06-23 17.25.30.jpg
2011-06-23 17.26.45.jpg
2011-05-12_19-53-41_42.jpg
2011-05-12_20-11-00_705.jpg

Last edited:
- chainwheel, chainguard, sure say huffman to me.
Agreed, especially where the fork and frame is involved. Didn't CWC always have the lip for the dropstand back then regardless of whether they used it? Weren't the chainwheel and chainguard manufactured by yet another party, like Wald or someone similar? I have no knowledge on this subject it's just that I've seen them (especially the chainguard) on several different makes of bike. I was wondering if Western Auto might have used them to distinguish their brand. These are a whole lot of assumptions on my part with no facts whatsoever so I am completely willing to learn from the masters...

Last edited:
I believe 37fleetwood is the master of Dayton Huffman-ology. I am only a humble apprentice. If he doesn't notice the thread, try sending him a PM.

From what I have seen if it were a Cleveland Welding bike then in the serial # you would find the letter C with the W in its mouth.

You know... it was only those 2 silly letters in the serial number that got my wheels spinning out of control. Everything on this bike screams Huffman but that CW sent my mind reeling on a tangent. I'm back on (more or less) solid ground now.:p

From what I have seen if it were a Cleveland Welding bike then in the serial # you would find the letter C with the W in its mouth.

Of course, you're absolutely right! I had a '41 Roadmaster with that exact mark.
What I first thought to be an "A" preceeding the CW now appears more likely to be an "H" which would mean it is the three letters together; HCW.

Last edited:
one other Question why would it be a 41 victory bike if we hadnt even went to war yet. what is the number in front of the letter H in 47 the started using a dated serial number like yours if it said 7H it is a 1947.

The V for victory campaign first began from a speech given by the Prime Minister of Belgium in January of 1941. He suggested the use of the V across the world be present everywhere as a show of strength and unity and a constant reminder to the enemy. This was broadcast on the BBC and quickly flourished across Great Britain. Churchill was credited for spreading its popularity. The US began using it to show support and solidarity to Britain and all of the occupied countries world wide. The first use of this propaganda occurred in August 1941 in the form of rubber stamps manufactured in NYC and sold across the country. People stamped their outgoing mail with the V. Also during this time V stickers were displayed in the front windows of homes. As the war progressed the "Vs" could be found everywhere. Store fronts, car windows, lapel pins, and of course, bicycles. After the war there was no need for the campaign and its use dwindled.
Knowing that nearly all bike production ceased in 1942, I assumed the year.

Last edited:
Back