When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1942/43? Wartime Columbia Sports Tourist

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jewelman13

Finally riding a big boys bike
Recently had this bike dropped off at my house randomly. It was in parts, but all the parts were there. It’s kinda a kewl historical wartime bike. Columbia Sports Tourist. I’m assuming 1942/43?

IMG_3162.jpeg

IMG_3170.jpeg

IMG_3166.jpeg

IMG_3164.jpeg

IMG_3168.jpeg

IMG_3167.jpeg

Only other one found so far. No serial number mentioned or shown as usual.

More bits and pieces. And the K 9 is the build period from what I've read.

Last edited:
Hi @Jewelman13 (and Thanks to @GTs58 )

Very nice bike, and the serial number lack is a real oddity.

K9 means the frame was made September 1943. At that point, Westfield were building up bikes almost immediately, so the serial number should have been in the W16xxxx region. See my listof known survivors below.

1681108882851.png

Actually, it's a little odd that I have no bicycles from the W16xxxx ten thousand block listed, I normally have at least two or three. That is probably just a coincidence.

The frames when made were stamped with the date code into the bare steel. The serial number was stamped after the frame was painted (ie, during or after assembly), so somehow this was not serialled after production.

It's not a replacement frame, since these too were serial numbered.

Either there was an error, and it got through the stamping room without being stamped (first I've seen),.

Or it 'fell off the back of a lorry' (as we say in the UK). See also Johnny Cash...

Or (since it's very nice, and has all the pinstriping, etc), it's some form of display/sales piece for Westfield, so wasn't serial numbered since it was for internal use.

Or (most likely) there's another reason I've not thought of (-:

Anyway, here's the closest I know of: W171566 : https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/bike-with-funny-little-front-fender.170440/

There is a good similar but later example linked in it.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Last edited:
Hi @Jewelman13 (and Thanks to @GTs58 )

Very nice bike, and the serial number lack is a real oddity.

K9 means the frame was made September 1943. At that point, Westfield were building up bikes almost immediately, so the serial number should have been in the W16xxxx region. See my listof known survivors below.

View attachment 1818902
Actually, it's a little odd that I have no bicycles from the W16xxxx ten thousand block listed, I normally have at least two or three. That is probably just a coincidence.

The frames when made were stamped with the date code into the bare steel. The serial number was stamped after the frame was painted (ie, during or after assembly), so somehow this was not serialled after production.

It's not a replacement frame, since these too were serial numbered.

Either there was an error, and it got through the stamping room without being stamped (first I've seen),.

Or it 'fell off the back of a lorry' (as we say in the UK). See also Johnny Cash...

Or (since it's very nice, and has all the pinstriping, etc), it's some form of display/sales piece for Westfield, so wasn't serial numbered since it was for internal use.

Or (most likely) there's another reason I've not thought of (-:

Anyway, here's the closest I know of: W171566 : https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/bike-with-funny-little-front-fender.170440/

There is a good similar but later example linked in it.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Fantastic information!

This bikes serial number definitely has me in questions. Like you said an odd ball. Especially the only stamp on the bottom bracket is just the K 9, that I see. I would think if there were another stamping, like it should, we’d be able to see at least a glimpse of a stamping thru the paint. I’m really surprised that bicycle productions continued during the war.

Isn't it also a bit strange to have all of the blacked out components, but still have the badge on it?

Hi @Jewelman13

The serial number certainly isn't under the paint.

You can see from this one made a couple of months earlier how the number is stamped after the paint is applied, which is why the numbers are rusty. They are also big and bold - difficult to miss!

dscn5922-jpg.jpg

Photo credit @mikecuda

Best Regards,

Adrian

Back