When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1942/43? Wartime Columbia Sports Tourist

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Just going off my burgandy 44' Huffman. No badge and no holes. Thought I heard that was pretty normal to reduce the use of brass being used.

Wow! That is a beauty! Original wood pedal blocks, painted rims and all the wartime features. A real museum piece.
All the random things dropped off in my yard are from the neighborhood pooches.😄

Sailorbenjamin's wartime tall frame Columbia had the same type of badge.

img_9193-1-jpg.jpg

In his case, the badge was made of steel with paint over it (to conserve brass).

img_9192-1-jpg.jpg

Hi @Jewelman13

The serial number certainly isn't under the paint.

You can see from this one made a couple of months earlier how the number is stamped after the paint is applied, which is why the numbers are rusty. They are also big and bold - difficult to miss!

View attachment 1819034
Photo credit @mikecuda

Best Regards,

Adrian
Yes sir. That’s how my other Columbia bikes are stamped. This wartime bike is unique

Manufacturers probably had thousands of badges already made before the war. I still don’t understand any significance of not having a badge on a civilian bike, it probably wasn’t saving nothing as far as materials go. I can understand if it was being used by the military and some were even painted over.

Isn't it also a bit strange to have all of the blacked out components, but still have the badge on it?
Hi @prewarmachine. Thanks for the thought.

Blacked out parts seem to have run through to the end of the war (I'm sure there were stocks that needed to be used up), and you see mixtures of chromed and black parts on 1945 bikes.

Late 1943, like this, it should be blacked out, as it is.

Certain parts were also absent, for austerity, so no racks, no chain guards, and no rubber pedals, which again, is correct on this one.

The badge question is an interesting one. As I think you know, civilian bikes lost their badges (military continued), and the serial numbers of Westfield and Huffman reflect this by being prefixed W for Westfield or H for Huffman.

This late 1942 (frame is July 1942, but it was built up after a large batch of G519 in Oct-Nov 1942) from @Goldslinger is the first W prefix Westfield serialed bike I have listed. It has no badge.

To confirm, this is the first H prefix Huffman I have listed, from @Wards Guy.. built about Sept 1942.

Your comment has made me look back at those survivors I have listed to try to find when badges returned.

From the end of 1942, regardless of model, only MG and W prefixes are used.

MG are Military bikes, and have badges.

W are civilian bikes, and do not have badges.

From the end of 1943, MG, MC, W and G prefixes are used, in mixed batches, such as at the end of 1944 here:

1681145838312.png

The first of these later G prefixes I have recorded is this Compax F92L. The serial number is Nov to Dec 1943. It has a badge.

This Sports Tourist of @Krakatoa made only a couple of days earlier is W prefix, and no badge.

So, is this when badges returned?

Sort of.

From then on Sports Tourists are W prefixed with no badge, until the end of 1944. From 1st January 1945, W and G prefixes are dropped, and the date code letter prefix J is used for all bicycles. And they all seem to have badges from then on, such as this Sports Tourist of @Krakatoa , which is still using blackout parts.

So it seems that the Austerity Sports Tourists were W prefixed with no badges up to the end of 1944.

Things seem to have relaxed at that time, since we start to see ballon bicycles again. Although W prefixed, they have badges, such as this December 1944 example from @DonChristie

The other bike being produced in large numbers by Westfield is the Compax. The numbering for this is odd, since (from the survivors list I've compiled below), the G to the end of 1942 have badges (and unreinforced frames). In 1943, the W149035 has no badge. This one I own, it's not even drilled for a badge, as the photo below shows.

1681145141631.png

Those frames prefixed G have badges.

1681144734275.png

Perhaps because the Compax was not an austerity pattern bicycle, the rules did not apply in the same way? They were being bought by the government for rest camps, etc, so were they badgedbecause they were under Government regulations? But then, the Sports models were bought for the same reason, and they were not badged. I don't have an answer yet.

A further Compax oddity is that G43404A above is badged, the next survivor is W54793A, which isn't.

Incidentally, the Compax reinforced 'Military' frames ran though to the end of 1945. I have not found any K prefixed 1946 Compax's with the reinforced frame.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Back