When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1942 Columbia Sports Tourist

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
One of the things I have noticed that interests me is that this bike and a Westfield military issue balloon I saw last summer both have true, manually welded head tube joints as opposed to the standard internally lugged construction one expects to see on Westfield bikes.

I wonder if this was due to manufacturing exigencies brought about by building during the war (conserving the brass used in the internal lug brazing process), training exercises in welding for the new wartime workforce, or perhaps this was part of meeting a government specification in the contract for military bicycles.

FYI---schwinn L/Ws of the war era are also steel welded---they have leaded joints to give them the "schwinn" look.And both Schwinn and Huffman produced L/Ws in Cro-Mo tubing---Late 30s

That's the nicest one of those I've seen. I had a late 30s Shelby lightweight for a while. It was a great looking bike and it really was light but the level of finish was not up to Schwinn standards, grinder marks at the joints and such.

I'm opening up this thread, because I just brought home a Columbia Sports Tourist, and I would like to get an idea of the vintage. The serial number is stamped on the side of the dropout, and it is M430566. The frame has "Sports Tourist" on it, like the photo above, and remnants of the "American flag" on the downtube of the seat. There are no chain adjusters-just backwards-facing dropouts. Whether it is original to it, it came with a '49-dated Sturmey Archer 3-speed hub, and a leather Mesinger saddle.

Edit: never mind, I found "Mr Columbia" -apparently this is a 1949 bike.

Last edited:
I have the woman's version in Burgandy in beautiful condition that came from the home of the original owner. 100% original, right down to the wood pedals and tires that say "WAR TIRE" on them. It matches exactly to the ad posted above. I have photos home (not here at the office) so I'll try to remember to post some pics tonight.

fred

Wait! I found a few!......

fred

Attachments

• P1010009.jpg
    P1010009.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 234
  • P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 245
  • P1010005.jpg
    P1010005.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 228
  • P1010004.jpg
    P1010004.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 227
great find! I have been keeping my eyes peeled for something similar and have had zero luck. jealous!!!

Back