When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1942 Columbia?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Schmity03

Look Ma, No Hands!
I just pick this up today not sure if it's the right color code but a very neat bicycle serial seems to date it either 1941 or 1942 correct me if I'm wrong

16053901652306538032118410058603.jpg

1605390219613590746985205362308.jpg

16053902397116539568225776894028.jpg

16053902772807181779023085112435.jpg

I use this for Columbia bikes. No One here has said it's incorrect & since I don't know a whole lot; other than rear facing slots & drop stand ears usually mean prewar. I'd say that seems right for '42. As far as what's correct I can't say but I bet those truss rods shouldn't be blue. Maybe this bump & the experts chime in

View attachment 1301410
I use this for Columbia bikes. No One here has said it's incorrect & since I don't know a whole lot; other than rear facing slots & drop stand ears usually mean prewar. I'd say that seems right for '42. As far as what's correct I can't say but I bet those truss rods shouldn't be blue. Maybe this bump & the experts chime in
Yess I was going off the same research page but wasn't 100% if its 1941 or 1942 built
Yess those trusts Rods should be chrome.. now should it have a drop kick away kick stand or the kick stand that's on it..

Yess I was going off the same research page but wasn't 100% if its 1941 or 1942 built
Yess those trusts Rods should be chrome.. now should it have a drop kick away kick stand or the kick stand that's on it..
Like I said I am no expert so based on that sheet I would say '42 & also I would say it should have a rear drop stand. I can't say for sure but it looks like maybe somebody added a regular kickstand between the bridge. After being here I read that the "drop stands" Really do drop a lot of bikes if ridden vs show pieces so it wouldn't be unheard of. Maybe a better shot from that side would help before the experts chime in.

Hi @Schmity03 , @Superman1984

G37542 is an early 1942 bike, made in the brief period between the start of WW2, and the start of large scale Military and Victory bike production by Columbia.

The list is generally OK, but it has faults, and we can date these bikes more accurately now. Above the srial number is a letter and one or two numbers, this would trace the frame to the month of manufacture. I'm Guessing the code is J1 or J2. Would you let us know?

The colour is correct, as are the painted truss rods, which are rare on civilian bikes, and are like that to save chrome for the war effort. Other chrome items on this bike are the factory using up stock, and soon they would all be replaced by black painted items.

Post 7 in the link below is a close relative of yours, G37135, J2 belonging to @Mountain Trail Andy . It's the same colour (different stencils), and painted truss rods.

Yours would have had a kick stand from new (I can't tell if it was the one on the bike), and, generally, it looks original apart from the pedals, which might have been Torrington 8's, and possibly the grips.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi @Schmity03 , @Superman1984

G37542 is an early 1942 bike, made in the brief period between the start of WW2, and the start of large scale Military and Victory bike production by Columbia.

The list is generally OK, but it has faults, and we can date these bikes more accurately now. Above the srial number is a letter and one or two numbers, this would trace the frame to the month of manufacture. I'm Guessing the code is J1 or J2. Would you let us know?

The colour is correct, as are the painted truss rods, which are rare on civilian bikes, and are like that to save chrome for the war effort. Other chrome items on this bike are the factory using up stock, and soon they would all be replaced by black painted items.

Post 7 in the link below is a close relative of yours, G37135, J2 belonging to @Mountain Trail Andy . It's the same colour (different stencils), and painted truss rods.

Yours would have had a kick stand from new (I can't tell if it was the one on the bike), and, generally, it looks original apart from the pedals, which might have been Torrington 8's, and possibly the grips.

Best Regards,

Adrian
Thanks for informing me. I figured the truss rods would have been white like they did the guard, wheels, and two tone on the frame. I assumed due to the 2 '50s bikes I have were. Like I said no expert on anything here. Way before my time but I am here to learn & distinguish

Hi @Superman1984

It's an odd period. Without going into the history too much, civilian production was stopping and starting, and the government was about to introduce rationing, so variations are not surprising.

Very soon after this one was made (3 to 4000 frames later) the first of the MG coded Miltary bikes started production. They were substantially similar to this one, but painted green (including truss rods!), and the early ones were coded J2, so probably produced during the same month.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Adrian that is great information, as I was losted on the color code of the bike. As far as the pedals and grips I knew they weren't orginal. I will look later today for the J1 or J2 code. It would be neat if it was a fully made military bicycle a great bit of American history during those dates

Thanks, @Schmity03 the number will help my records for the future too. I've been improving the dating system for these for some time, you can read more here:

I should just say, it's not a military contract bicycle. If it were, there would be an M stamped in front of the G, and a lot of the detail pieces would be different. The frame is otherwise the same, and was made at that point where they moved from civilian to military production. But it was an important part of the civilian war effort.

Interesting bike, thanks.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Yes that's what I figured after doing some of my research it would need a "M" in front of the "G" to mark it military made bicycle. I'm not seeing a J code above or below the serial number would it be engrave as deep as the serial number.

Back