When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1942 Elgin Lightweight '' Victory'' Roadster

-
What is your tire size? I can’ t seem to find pre war tires that are 27x1.50 or 27x1 1/2. This is the size on my 1941(H-8)
Thanks,
Jon

Tire is the original GOOD YEAR, size is 26 x 1.375. Never thought to even look, and I've had this bike for probably at least 15 years. It's just been standing with the rest of my older bikes that don't get ridden...just looked at and dusted, lol.

fred

I had a wartime Columbia lightweight blackout. Sold 5ish years ago. Still kicking myself.
IMG_2672.JPG

@s1b You can't keep them all. At least that's what I keep trying to tell myself every time I look back and lament on one I should have kept.

Reactions: s1b
@s1b You can't keep them all. At least that's what I keep trying to tell myself every time I look back and lament on one I should have kept.
So true. I don't the same with the old cars I've had and antique trains.

Beautiful bikes! I noticed none of the bikes have chain guards. Was this to save steel for the war effort?

Beautiful bikes! I noticed none of the bikes have chain guards. Was this to save steel for the war effort?
Yes, the bikes that were sold after July 1, 1942 came without chain guards, kickstands and once prewar stocks were depleted head badges. Also, most of these bikes had little to no chrome to save on the substrate metals used to fuse the chrome to the steel. Of course this was all to save steel for the war effort and the result was a very slim lined minimalist bike.

Regards,
Bill

Back