When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1942 simplex paratrooper bike

-

redline1968

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Ultra rare military issue.. used during ww2 this was dropped out of b52 bomers during the war has the original motor in parts there's a military id tag on motor motor matches tag..cool bike..

It's a cool one. Does it somehow fold up? Doesn't look like an air drop bike but I'm not an expert. Maybe used on bases? I've seen Cushmans used that way. I do know the B-52 wasn't in service until the mid 50's.

Not that rare, was probably used on a military base and not in combat.The original 2 stroke motors werent very reliable, most Simplex bikes have had their motors replaced with a Briggs or other small engine. Bike was made in New Orleans, Louisiana.

n

Not that rare, was probably used on a military base and not in combat.The original 2 stroke motors werent very reliable, most Simplex bikes have had their motors replaced with a Briggs or other small engine. Bike was made in New Orleans, Louisiana.

n
Agree. They also used by the USAF Maintenance crews..

I have a book on this and I own two. The black and maroon one is 1936 (?) with a RX-80cc Honda engine and the other one (red and black) is 1960 (?) display model that has only a few show movement miles on the odometer.

The picture in the back of the red bike is when I put a Whizzer in the Smithsonian and there in their warehouse was (near it) was the first Service Cycle Simplex ever made. The 2 strokes engines were slow and weak on purpose. Almost all engines were out of balance by bad design and no two are alike because they kept trying to get it right. Notice that the centrifugal clutch was in the last (red) bike and was unpopular because the crash bars and foot pad were taken off. The Honda makes this a death machine but what a cool way to go. In a parade this is so stunning that at the end we have a mini show. The picture of the girls is so old they they are now on their way to being doctors.

Last edited:
It's a cool one. Does it somehow fold up? Doesn't look like an air drop bike but I'm not an expert. Maybe used on bases? I've seen Cushmans used that way. I do know the B-52 wasn't in service until the mid 50's.
Notice the big tank was put on for the army. The bike tires on the maroon and black were prewar.

Back