When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 color photo, 2 bikes.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
With the curved down tubes, I wonder if there is a difference between these frames and the civilian ones, like the welds?

Quite interesting! Besides what has already been mentioned as different from the usual style WWII Military Columbia, I noticed that the lower truss rod brackets are absent, pedals appear to be possibly Torrington 10's rather then 8's, the kickstand is not the usual one seen on the Columbia nor does it appear from what I can tell to be the style used on the Military Huffman ( although it is similar). The frame pump brackets look to me like they could have been finished in a reddish color or maybe red oxide paint. The hand grips look like they could be wood. I cannot tell from these photo's whether the frame joints are welded or brazed. However, since the curved tube frame would indicate a 1941 or early 42 construction I believe that brazing would have been used. Although it is my understanding that the US Military had some of the brazed bikes welded and then all future contracted bikes welded. Both my Jan. 1942 Huffman curved tube and my Feb. 1942 Columbia curved tube G519's appear to have brazed frame joints. The photo's themselves most certainly could be original. Color photography was available during WWII. However, I believe it was more common in live filming rather then still photo's, but it was used for some still photo's. Why the bright bike parts, who knows. My guess is that the bikes were 1941-early 42 models that may have been special ordered for some reason for Bermuda and only a handful were constructed maybe using prewar stock chrome parts, who knows. Like I have said in the past. When it comes to Manufacturing during WWII all bets were off!

Regards,
Bill

The Original caption describes the GIs as Marines, but the uniforms are clearly Army issue.
Furthermore the insignia on the pith helmet slung on the shoulders of one of the men is an Army Air Forces Enlisted Men's branch of service disc, so clearly Army.
The insignia on the garrison (side) cap and the brass belt buckle looks like it could be US Marine Corps globe & anchor, but then again the shirts are clearly Army....

The Marine is in the middle, the dude on his left is wearing a different model shirt.
Naval Air Station Bermuda.
gettyimages-106910418-1024x1024.jpg

This is interesting stuff regarding the uniforms. I now see the what your describing, the lapel looks different to me, maybe the angle.
Could it be both are in aviation and sharing a similar uniform designating them as Naval aviators or Army aviators?

Very interesting photo. I'm wondering if this is really a historic picture or a reenactment photo. The color of the tents look like British Bell tents and with US GI's living in them. Perhaps this is a colorized photo and not an original Kodachrome pic? It would be interesting to do some further research into this photo.

Actually these appear to 4X5 Kodachromes shot with a press camera. Nothing fake here. I have seen plenty of other images from this era of time and the look is unmistakable that is it is color transparency film and large format at that. Kodachrome is long lived process and the reason these images look so good. If these same shots had been taken with color film most likely the color would have faded by now and would not have looked nearly as impressive.

Back