When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 Columbia Compax restoration

-
Hi Adrian,

Regarding the 1943 Military compax flyer. Your missing my point by over analyzing it and that is probably my fault for not explaining my reasoning in mentioning it. So shame on me! Anyway, it does not matter in this case whether the flyer was generated in 1942 for 1943 or in 1943. It also does not matter if the flyer was intended for the general public and/or the military. What does matter is that the military compax models depicted on the flyer were, at least at the time that it was published, what the compax was to look like for 1943. Now that being the case when we compare your compax F-92L to the one in the flyer the differences are obvious. The question is why and I mentioned a couple possibilities in my previous conversation on the subject. So this was the only reason I mentioned the flyer. It was to compare what was suppose to be for 1943 to what actually was ( at least in regards to your example ).

As for the Mr. Columbia site, if I am not mistaken, I understand that due to rising cost to keep the site updated and available it was shut down. Whether for good, I do not know.

Regards,
Bill

Adrian

My site is gone for good but the good news is all the information is still with me and I will be incorporating much of it here on the CABE in the future.

To speak on the 43 flyer and if intended for the civilian or military markets we may never know for sure. Since there was no "Contract" with the government as in the G519 the factory may have been using it to market to the base personnel that may make independent purchases. It was with no doubt also used for the civilian market. I have seen and own these bikes that were originally purchased by both military and civilian.

It is also true that catalogs were prepared in advance of the year and often do not depict models in an entirely accurate manner. The flyer in question does depict these models with no head badge and that is correct for all 43 Westfield's as far as I know. By late 44 and 45 these bikes had head badges once again. I have never seen a Compax of any era without a chain guard but it is entirely possible some were sold without them. Again, no way to know for sure.

Good luck on your restoration. I look forward to seeing it's completion.

Hi Adrian,

I just remembered you were looking for the seat for your compax, which you posted a picture of and is also pictured on the compax bikes on the 1943 flyer. I believe you were also curious about the make. This particular seat was made by ''Persons'' . The one I have on my F- 92H still has the ''Persons'' logo visible on the cloth cover. Not an easy seat to locate especially with a good solid cover. I am looking for one in solid condition for my F-92L. By the way, if you do locate one be aware that there were two sizes made one for men's and a smaller size for women's bikes. I presently have a black cloth covered ''Messinger'' seat on my F-92L, which is similar to, but not the same as the ''Persons''.

Regards,
Bill

Hi Bill,

Excellent. that is exactly the kind of detailed information I was seeking when I started the thread (-:

It looks like I may have to substitute for a while if I want to ride it.

Have a Great Weekend,

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi Mr. Columbia,

Thanks for your reply, that helps clear up what the situation is with your site. I'm sorry to hear it's gone, as I said above, it was a great resource, and you'd put a lot of work into it. It will be missed by those of interested in bicycle history.

It's good to know you've not quit the hobby, and intend to continue contributing here.

Thanks for your help (past and future!)

Best Regards,

Adrian

Adrian

My site is gone for good but the good news is all the information is still with me and I will be incorporating much of it here on the CABE in the future.

To speak on the 43 flyer and if intended for the civilian or military markets we may never know for sure. Since there was no "Contract" with the government as in the G519 the factory may have been using it to market to the base personnel that may make independent purchases. It was with no doubt also used for the civilian market. I have seen and own these bikes that were originally purchased by both military and civilian.

It is also true that catalogs were prepared in advance of the year and often do not depict models in an entirely accurate manner. The flyer in question does depict these models with no head badge and that is correct for all 43 Westfield's as far as I know. By late 44 and 45 these bikes had head badges once again. I have never seen a Compax of any era without a chain guard but it is entirely possible some were sold without them. Again, no way to know for sure.

Good luck on your restoration. I look forward to seeing it's completion.
mr.Columbia when did Columbia have serial # stamped on left side of seat tube and have two bolts under bottom to hold cups and cones set for crank?

Back