When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

~ ~ ~ 1943 Huffman/Dayton Military Bike Found! ~ ~ ~

-
I have a question, please: a Mesinger is shown on a Huffman bike in a picture taken from an Army technical manual, why is that saddle/information not correct?

Huffman.jpg

http://www.theliberator.be/militarybicycles.htm

Hi Rustjunkie.

Actually, that's a very fair question. I hadn't noticed the saddle on the Huffman bike illustration before you pointed it out. (Sorry).

The parts book says that the issue saddle is a Persons 1352W in russet brown (saddle stem, incidentally, is 'Straight, 5/8ths Inch by 9 Inch).

For the saddle, I suggest that the parts books are all Westfield, I am not aware of a Huffman one so:

Perhaps the Mesinger saddles were fitted to Huffmans as standard? We would need more original photos, or a Parts Book to help demonstrate that. However, it is interesting that one has appeared with this frame.

Perhaps Mesinger saddles were fitted to some Huffmans and Columbias as a 'Substitute Standard' when the Persons was not available? This happened with other military vehicles, since 'Parts is Parts' and getting a usable item out of the door was important.

Perhaps the early (curved frame) Huffman illustrated is preproduction, and not fitted with the correct saddle? We know that catalogue illustrations of the period did not necessarily match the production bike.

Do Huffman have a history of using Mesinger saddles?

I would welcome any comments or other ideas on this, especially examples of Huffmans with the Mesinger saddle originally fitted.

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Adrian

Just found these Torrington 8's with wood blocks in an old for sale thread here. Darn, I'm three years too late!!!:oops:

Anyone have another set?

pedals badges 002.jpg

pedals badges 004.jpg

Last edited:
My 2 cents on war bikes.
I get the whole 'rare for WWII' etc But these bikes do absolutely nothing for me.
Plane jane 'base models' with some "military only" appointments...
yawn!
I do respect that they were a unique window in bicycle manufacturing during the 'big one'...
but again...
>yawn< to military bikes...
my 2 cents

My 2 cents on war bikes.
I get the whole 'rare for WWII' etc But these bikes do absolutely nothing for me.
yawn!
I do respect that they were a unique window in bicycle manufacturing during the 'big one'...
but again...
my 2 cents
Great bikes from a historical perspective and also great riding totally solid downhill bombers. They track very well on fire roads, trails, etc...

My 2 cents on war bikes.
yawn!
but again...
my 2 cents
sort of like Cantilever Schwinns, they made them for 80 years! double yawn!

I yawn about a lot of bikes but I generally keep that to myself :).

sort of like Cantilever Schwinns, they made them for 80 years! double yawn!

-----not knockin the brand.... or the frame design... just >yawn< basic bike that goes for cray $ because
Yippee!!! World War II association.

Maybe if something unique was manufactured for the war effort? ok...
but these are basic 'el strippo' ballooners with a couple of mods and some drab green paint..

and ....hey ok ....I was a 'war freak' when i was a little kid...played army etc. i get it....sorta...?

Back