When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 Huffman military bike?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Rustjunkie, what would you do with it? I want to enjoy looking at it :)
Abby, I agree with RustJunkie, often with an overpainted bike much of the original paint is remaining under the overpaint. In areas where the paint was scraped away it will rust (as you see on your bike). Many paints come off very easily; others are more tricky to remove but it is still worth the effort to try this first.
There are several posts on The Cabe that discuss paint removal. The bike will have the most value if the olive drab can be saved. It will be worth a couple thousand if this can be achieved. You can buy basically the same model Huffman in a 1946-47 (non-military) in overpaint for a few hundred that you can paint red and ride to death.
Regarding the basket, it would not have come from the factory with this but may have been added at a military base.

Last edited:
Abby, I agree with RustJunkie, often with an overpainted bike much of the original paint is remaining under the overpaint. In areas where the paint was scraped away it will rust (as you see on your bike). Many paints come off very easily; others are more tricky to remove but it is still worth the effort to try this first.
There are several posts on The Cabe that discuss paint removal. The bike will have the most value if the olive drab can be saved. It will be worth a couple thousand if this can be achieved. You can buy basically the same model Huffman in a 1946-47 (non-military) in overpaint for a few hundred that you can paint red and ride to death.
Regarding the basket, it would not have come from the factory with this but may have been added at a military base.
You are right....I could buy a cheaper old bike and paint it red. I'm really thankful for all of the advice on what to do with this heirloom. Seriously, thank you!

It would be a shame to have a real military bike painted as a civilian bicycle.
The potential in that bike is bringing it back to its originality.
Love it or hate it, it is a military bicycle.
But you own it and not me. So it's yours to do as you please.
Most people like myself that are into military history and vintage bicycles search forever to try to find an original bike to restore to its original military state. Anyone can find an old bike and paint it like a military bike but it's still just a tribute bike and not the real thing.
Just my 2 cents.
Good luck with it and whatever you decide to do.
JKent

Awesome piece of history. Don’t touch it. The original military bikes are so much more valuable if left alone. Take the time to clean it not to change a thing. And!! Leave the yellow paint on it. Although I can’t be 100% it looks to be the same paint they was used on the vietnam era flight line vehicles. Here is a military Columbia bike that I have. Came out of Tinker AFB. Made during WWII used thru 1971 with the Military airlift squadron. Still has the inventory tag on it.
73f4b0d75800f68ef737873df05aa795.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone have any suggestions near PA for restoration? This is a project way over my head.

Back