When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 Schwinn Wartime New World - 23" large frame w/ lots of black out parts

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The last line of the catalog you posted above is hard to read, but it looks like "Parking stands, chain guards and chrome finish on all parts except cranks and handlebar stems, have been eliminated by War Production Board." I didn't think about the problem of using calipers on painted rims, but it sure looks like that's what they did.
@Oilit just checked to see if it ever had a stand and nope. No paint loss or indention on the top or bottom between the stays. It is crazy to think the bike never had a stand... It also makes me think to recheck where I thought was paint loss in the right spot for the guard to attach and check that again and also where the other end would connect to see if it ever had a guard. Per that ad, it may not have...

@Oilit just checked to see if it ever had a stand and nope. No paint loss or indention on the top or bottom between the stays. It is crazy to think the bike never had a stand... It also makes me think to recheck where I thought was paint loss in the right spot for the guard to attach and check that again and also where the other end would connect to see if it ever had a guard. Per that ad, it may not have...
It's possible that someone added an aftermarket chain guard at some point, although if they did, you would think it would still be there. Somebody put a kickstand on my 1942 CWC, but it doesn't look like there's ever been a chain guard.

I've seen a number of WWII-era lightweights with no chain guards. These were mostly Westfields, Elgins, Cleveland Welding, Huffman bikes. They made heavy use of black out parts. Most had stands, and some had black-out stands. The farther you go into the war period, the more likely you are to see these sorts of things. Some of these bikes also made use of wooden pedal blocks and wooden handlebar grips, though most of the ones I've seen still had rubber blocks and rubber grips. If you see no signs of any chain guard at any point, then it's possible your bike never had a chain guard as it was purchased and delivered. Same is true for the stand. It's possible the person just did not want or need (or want to pay for) a stand. Cost and material cutting measures ran deep by 1943. I say build it up however would be most useful to you, depending on where and how you prefer to ride, and go with it. Set aside anything you don't need so you can put it back later if need be.

Hey Guys,

From April, 1942 until Sept., 1944 U.S. government bicycle regulations ( Limitation Order L-52 ) did not permit new bicycles to be sold to the public with chain guards or stands, which of course was due to wartime metal rationing. So during this period any chain guards and stands used were from pre April 1942 production not from the factory new bikes ( Say, Mr. Smith obtained a new Columbia lightweight through the rationing program to use in getting to his war production job that bike would have been received by him without chain guard or stand. However, he may attach and old chain guard and/or stand that was laying around ). As of Sept., 1944 the regulations were changed to allow new bikes to be sold with chain guards and stands as long as the addition of these components did not have a negative impact on war production contracts. Also, in regards to chain guards and stands the restrictions only pertained to civilian use bicycles. U.S. Military use bicycles were allowed to be produced and delivered with chain guards and stands.

Regards,
Bill

Hey Guys,

From April, 1942 until Sept., 1944 U.S. government bicycle regulations ( Limitation Order L-52 ) did not permit new bicycles to be sold to the public with chain guards or stands, which of course was due to wartime metal rationing. So during this period any chain guards and stands used were from pre April 1942 production not from the factory new bikes ( Say, Mr. Smith obtained a new Columbia lightweight through the rationing program to use in getting to his war production job that bike would have been received by him without chain guard or stand. However, he may attach and old chain guard and/or stand that was laying around ). As of Sept., 1944 the regulations were changed to allow new bikes to be sold with chain guards and stands as long as the addition of these components did not have a negative impact on war production contracts. Also, in regards to chain guards and stands the restrictions only pertained to civilian use bicycles. U.S. Military use bicycles were allowed to be produced and delivered with chain guards and stands.

Regards,
Bill
Great info. Thanks Bill.

Hey Guys,

Regards,
Bill
I didn't realize the military bikes still had guards and stands. Thank you!

Here is a catalog page of the New World (does not specify year) but does list a high flange rear hub with freewheel and caliper brakes.

I didn't realize the military bikes still had guards and stands. Thank you!
Yes, the contracted Columbia and Huffman standard G519 US Military models of 1941 - 1944 and the Columbia US Military Compax models F92-L and F92-H Folding ( collapsible ) bicycles between 1942 - 1945 were originally equipped with both chain guards and stands from the factory.

Regards,
Bill

Back