When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 Westfield Columbia Chainwheels

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Mercian

I live for the CABE
Hi All,

Firstly, I have posted a similar thread on the Military Bicycles part of the forum, so please excuse this, but there may be visitors here who do not venture there.

Johan Willaert makes an observation on his website about the two different chainwheels fitted to mens Columbia G519 military bicycles, 'Coffin' and 'Sweetheart' styles (left and right respectively on Johan's picture, below)

http://www.theliberator.be/BicyclesImages/MGFrontSprockets.jpg

It seems the early bikes (late 1941 to mid 1943) were fitted with the Coffin style, and from around June 1943 with the Sweetheart style instead. Mine is fitted with the Sweetheart wheel, hence the interest.

Oddly, the USMC bikes, which have later frame numbers than the Army production revert to the Coffin type wheel.

I know the Coffin type was a standard prewar Columbia pattern.

Does anyone know where the Sweetheart pattern wheels originally come from (Bike make, model or supplier)?

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Back