When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1945-46 Schwinn Dx

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Just Jeff

Wore out three sets of tires already!
My first collectable bike, other than my old Quadangle which I won’t count, was the oddball 1946 Schwinn Dx with the tubular upper rear fender mount.
I have been missing that bike, so I have decided to replace it with another one.
Fun fact, my first one had an Our Own Hardware EZ Speed badge on it. And the new to me one also had an EZ Speed badge as well!
Anyhow, I bought this frame from a fellow CABA member, Barry. Thanks again Barry!
First pic is the frame when I received it a few months ago. Next couple pics are mocking up the collected parts purchased to recreate my first one.

I’ve got a locking springer and a matching Panther front fender for it as well, but I don’t have pics of them on my phone.

Which brings us to today. Started stripping the paint to prepare it for a new resto-mod paint job. I say that because it will be a correct style paint job for the Dx, but not necessarily correct colors. And of course with chrome Panther fenders, because that’s how I built the original one all those years ago.
These are pics of the almost bare frame. And I love the ghost of the original paint that’s still visible

Last edited:
And that’s the end point for today. That was just me and a razor blade peeling paint off the frame. Almost no original paint left, so it came off pretty easy. Ran out of paint stripper so that’s how I had to do it. Next step is the media blast cabinet, hopefully tomorrow, but it may have to wait until next week. We shall see how busy I am at work

My first collectable bike, other than my old Quadangle which I won’t count, was the oddball 1946 Schwinn Dx with the tubular upper rear fender mount.
I have been missing that bike, so I have decided to replace it with another one.
Fun fact, my first one had an Our Own Hardware EZ Speed badge on it. And the new to me one also had an EZ Speed badge as well!
Anyhow, I bought this frame from a fellow CABA member, Barry. Thanks again Barry!
First pic is the frame when I received it a few months ago. Next couple pics are mocking up the collected parts purchased to recreate my first one.

View attachment 1552872

View attachment 1552873

View attachment 1552874

View attachment 1552875

View attachment 1552877

View attachment 1552878

View attachment 1552879

View attachment 1552880
You bet Jeff. I always wanted to fix that bike up. I'm glad someone is doing it. Have a great day. Barry

I found no traces of the red primer on this frame. That would help explain how the rams head/ fireball/ whatever you want to call it ghosting on the bare metal

No primer? So the frame was stripped before that other red was applied?

Here's a frame I chemically stripped and nothing but rust was left. Came from the SF Bay area. So a little sanding and sand blasting was needed to deal with that mess. My last time for doing a chemical strip.

Back