When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1945 Westfield bicycle paint preservation and wax to use

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Pvtryanww2

Look Ma, No Hands!
What would you use to protect original paint on 1945 Westfield Columbia bike

2A651EEF-B9B2-4F24-AE92-3EAF2FA1B382.png

If you don’t want to clear coat it (and I’ve seen that done) you could use some paste wax if the surface is smooth or liquid/spray wax if it’s rough. Another thing I’ve seen done is giving it a rub down with boiled linseed oil. Should dry enough not to remain sticky and it can be removed with detergent and water (and elbow grease. ) I’ve also heard of using a rag and old motor oil. I’ve never done anything but wax and that’s nice because it’ll eventually wear off or can be washed off so there’s no commitment like if you clear coated the patina.

clear coat and linseed oil do not "protect" paint on old bikes. proper storage protects the paint. if you want to make that bike shine again there are many different ways to do that. once it is shiny, then you can wax it if you want, but since hopefully the bike will never spend time in a damp conditions our outside you would not even need to do that.

Actually BLO will protect the paint to a certain extent. It has a natural resin. Clean and polish off the oxidized paint and then wax or coat with BLO. Neither one is permanent.

Back