When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1946-48 Columbia Westfield Higgins. Yes thats right, not Murray!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Pirate of the Plains

Finally riding a big boys bike
For sale is a 46-48 J.C. Higgins made by Columbia-Westfield instead of Murray. It has stapped Torrington Bars and Pedals, both have surface rust only. It has the rack with the dip. It includes both the original wheels but the rear hoop is damaged. It has original fenders and skip tooth crank set and original diamond(I think) chain. The chainguard looks to be from an old Schwinn. Not sure about the saddle but everything else is original to this bike.
There arent many of these bikes around because from what I've read the reason these bikes exist is becauseq every year each bike manufacturer would bid on the contracts for each department store and one company would win the account. That store would then order around 90% of their bikes from the winning company. As a sort of consolation prize for the losing company they would throw them a bone and a place a small order that would make up around 10% of their total bicycle inventory for that year. This bike would have been one of that 10%.

Why would they do that you ask?
For a very simple reason. Its in the department store best interests for neither company to go out of business because if that happened, the one remaining company could raise their prices because there would be no competition to keep their prices in check.

I want $225 out of it but I may be a little flexible

Shipping is your responsibility and I will ship you as little or as much of the bike as you want.

Just the Torrington components and crankset and hubs could justify that price and if thats all you wants shipping will probably be under $40. The whole bike. Probably $100-120ish for everything if I had to guess.
I have access to commercial shipping supplies so I could safely ship it myself or drop off anywhere in the KC Metro if you want arrange your own shipping

Also 1 and 1/2 pedals worth if 4" Torrongton pedal parts will be included. Including blocks and axles and hardware

33d233c72fb63373c3d3c7c6c78fc195.jpg
Screenshot_20200811-200214_Gallery.jpg
9e94ced9ada220d0032437588f984f0b.jpg
Screenshot_20200811-200242_Gallery.jpg

Wow, Pirate that was lightning fast shipping like always! Keep it Up!
-No One

Last edited:
I can't see the rear wheel mount close enough in these pics.. I need the 46 or 47 model with the rear facing split nut the 48 version with the hook.. See attached pic..

IMG_6788.JPG

Back