When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1946? Roadmaster cyclo(cycle)truck

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

flat black kustoms

Look Ma, No Hands!
Does anybody have any info on this bike/frame? I am looking for forks...will Schwinn cycle truck forks fit, they look similar? I need a basket and the kickstand,too! The only thing that I have to go off of for the year is an old metal license plate from Klamath Falls, Oregon reading 1946 ! I haven't seen a lot of the bikes around the web...until lately, but still not a lot!

sgs3e1-1.jpg

Any info on this bike/frame will help, Thanks. GERRY D.

Hi Gerry,

The license is newer than the bike. Cleveland Welding?s model 2010 delivery bicycle is shown in their 1940 and 1941 catalogs. To the best of my knowledge the model was not continued after WW2. I?ll scan a picture from the catalog for you tomorrow. As far as fitting a Schwinn fork it might work if the head tubes are the same length but I don?t have either to measure and compare. Another possibility would be to weld a longer steerer tube to a 20? forged balloon fork. From the catalog illustration the fork rake looks relatively standard for a 20? fork.

If you don?t mind posting the serial number from the bottom of the crank hanger I will add it to the CWC serial number data base.

Thanks

Phil Marshall

I can lengthen or shorten a fork tube if you need one modified. I'm in woodburn Oregon

Pictures and ????

Catalog pics of this bike would be great! I have one too that I stripped and was getting ready to decide how to build it back up. I am really curious about the type fenders that are suppose to go in it. Round, Peaked, ducktail front? Back? Both? What is the correct rack for these? I don't have the bracket piece or the basket, but I don't think I wanted a basket anyway. I have a really great cooler I am going to attach.

Thanks in advance. Not meaning to hijack your post either.

PS Is that the right sprocket? Chainguard?

Hi again,

Here is the scan of the CWC delivery model from the 1940 catalog. I have enhanced it slightly from the original (CWC catalogs were not originally printed to the high level of quality of Westfield catalogs)

The model is not depicted in my copy of the 1939 catalog and the 1941 catalog uses the same illustration and text as 1940.

While the model doesn?t appear in the printing of the 1939 catalog I have, I believe the model may have been offered before 1940 based on the serial numbers I have seen.

About bicycle catalogs and the public domain.

In answer to your question about finding bicycle literature; the two best sources for purchasing original catalogs in general are bicycle swap meets and eBay. Prices are usually better at non bike specific swap events, estate sales and the like but you have to look through more stuff to find them and the chance of finding information on the specific year, make, model that you are searching for is slim at best.

Prewar bicycle literature is scarce in general and some pieces are rare to the degree that even those who have specialized in collecting bicycle catalogs since the 1960?s and 70?s have individual items they are still searching for. This scarcity translates to high prices when original pieces become available to collectors in an auction environment like eBay.

Those of us interested in the history of bicycles all owe a debt to those who have copied, scanned and published information from brochures and catalogs. In addition to just sharing, some people have put the extra time into digitally cleaning and enhancing badly worn originals. 37fleetwood certainly stands out for his work in this area but credit also goes to those who have shared catalogs with him and to many other forum members who have posted scans from their archives.

Outside this forum, Dave Stromberger stands out as deserving credit for his work and his site, Nostalgic.net. In addition to being everyone?s go to site for bike reference photos he has scanned and posted many individual pages and entire catalogs on his site.

Off the internet there are many collectors who are happy to display their literature to guests and some offer either xerographic or digital copies at reasonable prices.

I also can understand that some people have a large amount of money invested in their literature collections and when any piece of literature is copied in any fashion and passed on it becomes part of the public domain. The more circulated the information becomes, the less the originals are worth. If someone has amassed a million dollars worth of bicycle literature with the idea that it is their rainy day nest egg, their retirement, or the basis of an estate to pass on to their family it is not in their interest to halve the value of that collection.

On the bright side for those searching for information, more information becomes available every day from new finds that emerge on the internet and from the sharing that is natural and the basic reason for the existence of forums such as this one.

Phil Marshall

3075556658_f8cbfc8367_b-1.jpg

Hi Joe,

I clicked post just as you posted your questions, The catalog shows a different, very unique sprocket and a more deluxe chain guard than the one in place on flat black?s bike but his parts are standard CWC so they are likely original.

As you can see the bike is pictured without a rack, if one were supplied I would expect it to be the basic standard 1940 CWC rack.

The fenders are curious as they are referred to as full crown but not crescent or gothic. I would expect them to be CWC gothic as the CWC crescent fenders seem to have been dropped by 1938 but it is hard to tell if they are ridged or smooth from the catalog picture.

I?ll add that it is my belief that CWC pressed their own fenders. Many companies outsourced fender production but the fenders that CWC used are different from those used by anyone else.

Phil

Roadmaster serial #

Hi Gerry,

The license is newer than the bike. Cleveland Welding?s model 2010 delivery bicycle is shown in their 1940 and 1941 catalogs. To the best of my knowledge the model was not continued after WW2. I?ll scan a picture from the catalog for you tomorrow. As far as fitting a Schwinn fork it might work if the head tubes are the same length but I don?t have either to measure and compare. Another possibility would be to weld a longer steerer tube to a 20? forged balloon fork. From the catalog illustration the fork rake looks relatively standard for a 20? fork.

If you don?t mind posting the serial number from the bottom of the crank hanger I will add it to the CWC serial number data base.

Thanks

Phil Marshall

The serial # is D01101 (one letter, five numbers) and directly below it is another set of numbers? This is what they look like! <4052> I don't know if they were put on after or they are factory stamped...they look real straight , not hand punched!

Back