When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1946 Schwinn Autocycle Correct Rims?

-

dave429

I live for the CABE
I Posted this Autocycle a couple weeks ago. I am wondering what the correct rims would have come on it. I recently read somewhere that Schwinn did not start making the S-2 rims until 1948. Would drop center rims have been standard on the 1946 Autocycle?

I also had a 46 Autocycle that I fixed up for a friend. It had the flat Lobdell rims. From what I understand either the flat Lobdells or drop centers were used in 46. So you could go either way.

Edit: the rims were also chrome, not painted.

I picked this bike up with another frame and a couple more wheelsets. One was a drop center wheelset. This was probably the intended wheelset for this bike and the S-2 must have went to a different Schwinn Excelsior I have.

IMG_5457.JPG

IMG_5458.JPG

IMG_5459.JPG

My 1946 PK had an ugly seat on it when I got it... but the painted rims, Drop center, and hook type inside go with the early '46 serial number, had 'black-out hubs that shores up Schwinn's 'waste not want not' theory of doing business. The 1941 DX that Euphman06 rescued from the antique dealer in NY had the same rims. Lobdell were also a definite
possiblele for 1946.

1946_PK_2.jpg

Back