When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1946 Schwinn Autocycle Correct Rims?

-
Both 47-8s I have had were equipped with drop centers so I assume that flat lobdells may hve been expensive or in short supply? My 2 41s came with lobdells...

I think I will rebuild the axles and regrease everything and put the drop centers on it then. I can use the current rims on the bike for another build I'm working on.

The 1946 rim specs say many of the models are equipped with Schwinn's new hook bead type rim. What rim was that, the drop center?
hooked rim was most likely the flat lob dell,introduced in late '40,had lob dell,in cursive,on the rims,your bike looks like it could have had either,..keith

I will run the drop centers since I don't have Lobdells. I will use the S-2's for my 1950 D-19. Now to rebuild the front axle. Since the two bikes came together with both wheelsets, I'm think the drop centers were most likely on it as well. It all makes sense. Thanks everyone for the input!

Were the spokes on the drop centers of these mid to late 40s Schwinns laced with a 3 cross or a 4 cross pattern? I'm assuming Lobdell's were laced 4 cross like the S-2s?

My 46, B6, has original drop centers on it. But I have seen a few that have had the Lobdells,

20190312_100416.jpg

Last edited:
Were the spokes on the drop centers of these mid to late 40s Schwinns laced with a 3 cross or a 4 cross pattern? I'm assuming Lobdell's were laced 4 cross like the S-2s?

I’ve had two sets of factory spoked Lobdells and both were four cross.

Oldfart36, Can you tell me if the spokes on your drop centers are laced up 3 or 4 cross pattern? Also, what hubs are on the rear and front wheels?

Back