1946 Schwinn B6?

• Regarding bumping ads in the classifed forums, we've just installed a new (customized) add-on that will change the way ads are bumped to the top. Please refer to the post "Bumping Classifed Ads" for details.
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

VR6GTiGuy

Look Ma, No Hands!
May 12, 2014
Hello Schwinn experts. I picked this bike up last week. It was represented first and a 1946 Excelsior and then a Streamliner. I have been doing some reading and I am pretty sure it is a just a standard B6 Autocycle and that the 1946 date is pretty close. Here is what I know so far:

Serial number on bottom bracket: B88700
3/8" truss rods on non-locking fork
Built-in kickstand is tapered
Has drop center wheels, although I am not sure if they are correct (Bendix rear hub and generic front hub)

If my assumptions are correct, I am figuring I would need a Mesinger saddle with wear tabs, a pair of Persons or Torrington 10 pedals, a 6 hole rack and some script grips to make it fairly complete?

The rust is pretty bad in places and I really bought this as a parts bike for a future rat-rod/resto-mod project, but it is growing on me a bit.

1946Schwinn1-1.jpg

1946Schwinn2-1.jpg

1946Schwinn5-1.jpg

Any help is appreciated. Just not sure what direction I want to take with this.

Rivnut

I live for the CABE
Nov 24, 2012
Shawnee, United States
Water it and fertilize it and let it grow on you some more before making any rash decisions.

island schwinn

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
May 10, 2010
Modesto,CA. 95355
looks like a goodrich badged bike.my 46 is in similar condition and has the flat lobdell hookbead wheels.

Attachments

VR6GTiGuy

Look Ma, No Hands!
May 12, 2014
Badge

Thanks everyone.

I noticed the badge was the same outline as several of the Goodrich bikes I had seen, but I did not think those usually had Schwinn decals on the tank and chain guard. I would like to find an appropriate badge for this bike at some point if I go the restore route. The paint is rough and the ivory is flaking off in several areas. Not sure how easy it would be to keep it original and have it look decent. I would need a badge that matches the outline if I keep do it original.

I am torn. My interest really lies with TOC through the motor bike period, but this could be a fun project. I just do not want to have more in to it than it is worth.

Last edited:

Ozark Flyer

I live for the CABE
Jun 28, 2010
Hickory Creek, AR
Could have had an Excelsior badge. I would clean it up add new rubber and a Mesinger seat then ride it. There's lots of good paint under all that grime. I think it would have had the BFG chain guard decal if it was a BFG bike. I thought of Brian's RR 46 above when I saw it.

Obi-Wan Schwinnobi

Feb 5, 2013
San Diego
Could have had an Excelsior badge. I would clean it up add new rubber and a Mesinger seat then ride it. There's lots of good paint under all that grime. I think it would have had the BFG chain guard decal if it was a BFG bike. I thought of Brian's RR 46 above when I saw it.
It would...

VR6GTiGuy

Look Ma, No Hands!
May 12, 2014
You will need to fix that fork!
Yeah, the fork is tweaked a bit. I have straightened plenty of forks and have an alignment jig so I am not to worried about that.

Keeping the original paint and finding the needed parts on budget will be the challenges.

If I take on the project I will start a thread.

This ad goes away when you register for an account!

BWbiker

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Dec 1, 2007
Beaverton, 97005

Hello Schwinn experts. I picked this bike up last week. It was represented first and a 1946 Excelsior and then a Streamliner. I have been doing some reading and I am pretty sure it is a just a standard B6 Autocycle and that the 1946 date is pretty close. Here is what I know so far:

Serial number on bottom bracket: B88700
3/8" truss rods on non-locking fork
Built-in kickstand is tapered
Has drop center wheels, although I am not sure if they are correct (Bendix rear hub and generic front hub)

If my assumptions are correct, I am figuring I would need a Mesinger saddle with wear tabs, a pair of Persons or Torrington 10 pedals, a 6 hole rack and some script grips to make it fairly complete?

The rust is pretty bad in places and I really bought this as a parts bike for a future rat-rod/resto-mod project, but it is growing on me a bit.

1946Schwinn1-1.jpg

1946Schwinn2-1.jpg

1946Schwinn5-1.jpg

Any help is appreciated. Just not sure what direction I want to take with this.
My understanding from researching my 46 B6 is the pencil stand is 46 only. The other 46 specifics I know of are the AS on the seat post clamp are "outy" instead of depressed, the tank instead of having sheet metal nuts inside is tapped, and last the rear fender is about 1/4" different in length from the upper fender mount point to the lower in back if the crank housing. I learned this from a knowlegeable west coast restorer when I couldn't figure out why an otherwise correct looking fender would not mount up.

M & M cycle

Finally riding a big boys bike
Oct 9, 2013
Eagle Lake MN
nice bike

Hi, it may have had a Arnold Schwinn the World badge, Mark

cyclonecoaster.com

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
May 8, 2008
SoCal, United States
www.cyclonecoaster.com
That bike really doesn't need much .......

Yeah, the fork is tweaked a bit. I have straightened plenty of forks and have an alignment jig so I am not to worried about that.

Keeping the original paint and finding the needed parts on budget will be the challenges.

If I take on the project I will start a thread.
Only hard to find part would be a patina matching 6 hole rack ( which isn't even necessary really ) - other than that bars & grips - pedals - seat & seat post are simple items readily available here or on eBay - I would find what you can to just get her back on the road - clean up & grease all the bearings & ride - ride like the wind ...... dont even touch the paint & you would be surprised how many people will come up & ask you about it - or even offer to buy it from you -

Below are some of the crusty riders I like to ride when I can ......

Ride Vintage - Frank

VR6GTiGuy

Look Ma, No Hands!
May 12, 2014
Nice Crusty Rides

That Firestone and the Shelby are pretty sweet.

I may end up going in that direction.

Larmo63

Aug 17, 2010
San Clemente, Ca
Frank is right, straighten the fork, get a saddle, and a rack shouldn't be too difficult.

Grease it, put on new tires and tubes then ride the piss out of it. I like bikes like this.

You can lay them down in the back of a SUV or truck and not worry about scratching

anything.

rollfaster

Dec 28, 2012
Ol' st. Lou
What he said...

Frank is right, straighten the fork, get a saddle, and a rack shouldn't be too difficult.

Grease it, put on new tires and tubes then ride the piss out of it. I like bikes like this.

You can lay them down in the back of a SUV or truck and not worry about scratching

anything.
This is a great bike and deserves to be revived. Just a little work and it will make a great rider with lots of character. Crusty bikes are my favorite.

Last edited:
This ad goes away when you register for an account!